1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Facebook: The "Like" button

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 5, 2013.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I think I'll send Dick some pieces of flair for starting this thread.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

This isn't a "get off my lawn" accusation. It's a (and I mean this with love) overthinking geek hipster accusation.

3. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I usually hit the "like" or "share" button when I'm urged to do so because, otherwise, I will disappoint Jesus.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Notre Dame fans can't be hipsters.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The moment you say "X can't be hipsters," all the hipsters rush to become it.

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I'm going to change my facebook name to "Nobody" so that when I like a post it will say "Nobody likes this."

7. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

The trouble with the "like" button is that when I make a witty and brilliant post, everybody is just so effing jealous of my wit and brilliance that they never push the "like" button.

8. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

F that...send him a Starbucks gift card!

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

My wife's former co-worker announced her miscarriage on Facebook. When my wife saw the post, it had 12 likes.

I sure hope it wasn't because all of her friends hate her that much.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Maybe the people liked all the money she would save by not having a child.

11. LarryCathey

LarryCathey Member

Receiving a "Like" and nothing else is far less disappointing than getting a comment notification only to find out it says, "Cool!"

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

If you “like” this article on a site like Facebook, somebody who reads it is more likely to approve of it, even if the reporting and writing are not all that great.

But surprisingly, an unfair negative reaction will not spur others to dislike the article. Instead, a thumbs-down view will soon be counteracted by thumbs up from other readers.

Those are the implications of new research looking at the behavior of thousands of people reading online comments, scientists reported Friday in the journal Science. A positive nudge, they said, can set off a bandwagon of approval.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/09/science/internet-study-finds-the-persuasive-power-of-like.html?hpw&_r=0

Draft saved Draft deleted