1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Facebook taking over the web

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Apr 21, 2010.

1. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

AOL was also an ISP as well as a content portal. Once people found better (and less expensive) ways to connect to the Internet, AOL was pretty much doomed.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Kinda trippy seeing posts and links from facebook people on the Washington Post's website. Can't say I'm all that thrilled about it, actually. Wouldn't I just be a fan of the Post if I wanted them in my facebook shit?

3. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Just an FYI, if you don't want Facebook to share your personal info with its new partner websites you have to "opt out" on the privacy settings page.

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Not sure if that's the same one I read - but I read a really good one, too. Might have been in New York Magazine, actually...

Anyway, it really creeped me out about the FB founders. They acted all 'zen' about FB except on one issue: They seemed to get very agitated that some users of FB weren't "uploading" enough.. weren't "sharing" enough. They were upset that some people would only use the site minimally. "We need to get people sharing more!" That was their mantra.

And that really skeeved me, because whatever line they're feeding you... they desperately want to make gabillions. Which-- is still proving elusive.

It's about to drive me nuts, though. Everytime I log in, there's some change or something I have to "opt out" of.

I'm about 2 seconds from nuking and feeling wonderful about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted