1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

facebook - Should you 'friend' a person you cover?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wisportswriter, Jun 15, 2009.

1. OK, I appreciate the education as to the differences between MySpace and Facebook, but maybe I should've been more specific.

What I was really looking for was an elaboration on FarmerJerome's assertion that friending (there's that non-verb verb again) on Facebook was OK, but MySpace not so much. The post I quoted from Cosmo looks like it's in the ballpark of what I'm after, but again, I'm curious to know why one and not the other.

2. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I think partially is that for awhile, Facebook was a college-only site, while MySpace housed younger users. The age gap held for awhile, but then FB opened to everyone, and many people migrated to the cleaner/easier to use FB.

3. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

Bet you're a hoot at parties.

4. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I don't host parties on Facebook with high school kids. What's your point?

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I wish I did.

And sure, do it. You'd pass up a chance to Superpoke Jennie Fitch?

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

dooley has just thrown a cucumber at jennie_finch

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

A lot of salads to be made, trust me.

8. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

He corrected my rolodex into Rolodex, I believe. Either that, or I just got a compliment from Mike Harris and took it completely the wrong way.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Both, actually. Rolodex is a brand name, I believe. And it was a compliment.

10. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Generally I only friend the athletes/sources I know personally. That said, I have no trouble contacting athletes I don't know through Facebook messaging, it's simply the easiest way to contact a lot of people. I'd imagine it's different in the pros, but if you're reporting on amateur sports in particular it's a lifeline.

And I'd guess as many athletes I know initiated the Facebook contact, which works for me, I have nothing on there to hide. You do get a few scoops out of their pages, but in my experience, I haven't found anything extremely out of the ordinary that most youth wouldn't be doing on their pages.

Outside the media, I have worked as an administrator in one sport and coached another and I always try to make it clear to the players I work with the consequences of posting information on social networking if they aren't careful.

11. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

Absolutely. I friend any athlete I cover. Why? Because when I need to do an end around the PR flacks and SIDs, you just send them a facebook email.

I got a second round NFL draft pick to give me a call several times using this. If you don't friend, know who is on facebook.

This is a journalism tool. Let's exploit it.

Draft saved Draft deleted