1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Facebook or Twitter? Facebook and Twitter? Neither? YouTube?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Norrin Radd, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

One tried-and-true way is to follow as many people as possible, tweet and re-tweet interesting stuff, and generally interact with others on Twitter. People are pretty smart about sussing out who's just there for self-promotion, and who has the attitude, "Hey, guys, this is some interesting stuff you should check out." A mistake a lot of accounts make is tweeting only about themselves.

Regarding different social media, I agree with Bubbler that Facebook definitely has plateaued. The initial excitement and oddity of hearing from people you hadn't heard from in years (whether you wanted to or not) is done, and for, say, my teenagers, it's less about sharing updates and more about stuff like video chat or seeking out people with similar interests. Still, I like Facebook as a kind of news conference for family and friends. I would never put kid pics on Twitter, but I'll put them on Facebook because people like to see them (in moderation, not every update).

I tend to update to Twitter, and let it feed into Facebook, when it's stuff related to my blog, or just quick thoughts in general. It's a great writing exercise, trying to condense a nuanced thought into 140 characters. I also run the Twitter account for my church, but one thing I've found is that people have trouble interacting with a nonhuman. My pastor tried tweeting, and she said she doesn't get why anyone would care what she had for lunch. I keep telling her, it's not about what you had for lunch. It's about revealing your personality, so if people are looking for a church, they already feel comfortable with you the moment they walk in the door.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Also, if you have trouble organizing or keeping with Twitter, I would recommend Tweetdeck or Hootsuite or other programs that allow you to group tweets by who you follow, keywords, etc. If you're at your desk on the ol' PC, the tweets will also pop up on your screen.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The Sarah Phillips way: http://deadspin.com/5906658/

Draft saved Draft deleted