1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Facebook, MySpace et al (aka the 'Geez I'm just old' thread)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Freelance Hack, Mar 1, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Just as much as one should be creeped out by the more passionate rip-jobs in this thread -- ones that haven't come from you, of course.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Tonight I went to my go-to Chinese takeout place (I don't have the money, but I don't have the energy to go shopping, much less cooking, and at that stage in my life, nine bucks doesn't really matter anymore). And lo and behold, they have a myspace site.

Why, I couldn't tell you.

There's little to it, though the panda they use as their profile pic is cute. And they do have the menu (killer sweet and sour chicken/shrimp). But the whole thing seems rather pointless. Wonder if they're really predators.

3. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Could be, but maybe one of the younger kids said "He mom and dad, we have to have a MySpace." :)

4. I'm 33 with a brand new myspace page.

I hate it yet my wife and best friend force me to look at it every now and then.

Friend guilted me into getting one because he wanted another friend and thought it would be a great way to find friends from college/high school. I couldn't find anyone who I actually wanted to talk to.

Then the wife gets one today and now has me uploading shit to decorate what was a blank page. So now my friends are my wife, my friend and my friend's wife.

Help me.

5. RokSki

RokSki New Member

You're in better shape than me, my friend. I'm 35 with one. :)

Seriously, though, I just read an article about how the new 'growth' sector for MySpace is 30+ year olds, so I wouldn't feel too bad. It's all the rage.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I, too, got guilted into putting up a MySpace page. I had about 12 friends ask if I had a page in the course of 72 hours. I got fed up with being asked why not, so I put one up.

Now I'm on it at some point pretty much every day. I haven't "met" anyone on MySpace. All my friends are people who I hang out with or used to hang out with. It's great chatting with friends I haven't seen since high school or college, or even those I hung out with the night before (piecing the night together is always fun).

Mine's not very fancy, but I like dropping comments on my friends and trying to be funny. It's really not much different than e-mail for me, except I can post comments that others can see (and hopefully enjoy).

As others have said, it's all what you make of it. Some people have use for it. Others don't. Nothing wrong with either, nothing weird about either.

7. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Agreed. It's just a tool. I've actually made some nice friends on there, from all over the world. :)

8. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

I started a myspace page to help coordinate my high school reunion. It's worked great to help spread the word.

I also got dragged onto facebook, and have reconnected with about 30 people I hadn't heard from or about in years.

Glad I did it.

9. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I've noticed an almost obligation to add people as friends simply because you are past acquaintances. It's a little funny to see when you know both people and doubt they'd ever be friends in a real sense.

I guess I have about five friends. One is the person who convinced me to start a page. She had a page, and I wanted to leave her a message. Many months after creating an account, I actually went to it and started poking around. I've started a blog, but I have no idea how to get back to it.

There was a girl who seemed harmless that asked me to add her. I checked her bio and just figured I was doing her some sort of favor. So I added her without ever communicating. About a week ago, she posted a message asking if I had asked her about some money-making thing that you can do from home. So I had to delete her.

I get on My Space about once a week at this point. I truly don't have much of a use for it. I searched out a few old classmates. That's about all the value I could find, at least until other classmates join the thing. And how are you supposed to find girls from school unless they sign up under their maiden names?

10. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Keep your mom off MySpace! (no, this isn't what you think)

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA041007.myspace_mayhem.3c601be.html (via the Obscure Store)

Mom is accused of hatching kidnap of tot on MySpace

Authorities said 20-year-old Lisa Gonzales recently used the popular networking site to post a message offering $500 to anyone willing to snatch her toddler son from her estranged boyfriend. Two people agreed to the scheme, and on Saturday night, authorities said, they took the screaming 2-year-old boy from the house he shares with his father and grandparents.

11. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Hell, that'd be my dream. :)

And, no, I don't have a MySpace page. I always figured I was "too old" but maybe I'm not. I know my wife's nephew prefers Facebook because he's in college and basically you have to be on that server to find him (or get an invite). So even in college this is how they stay in touch with friends (guess it's easier than calling someone and not having them pick up the phone or heading over to someone's dorm and having them not be in as we did back in the dark ages).

12. KnuteRockne

KnuteRockne Member

It's a generational thing. I'm just on the other side of 30 and would never dream of having a MySpace or Facebook page. It seems so silly and self-aggrandizing to me. On the other hand, I do see that it's completely mainstream among the age group just below me.

There will always be and have always been these little generational demarcations.

Draft saved Draft deleted