1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Facebook, MySpace et al (aka the 'Geez I'm just old' thread)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Freelance Hack, Mar 1, 2007.

1. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Yes. Um, I was only kidding about 18-year-old girls.

But, yes, I found myself a bit uncomfortable when I began to see that most of the MySpace people from my high school's graduating class were somewhat pathetic. The ultimate movers and shakers are nowhere to be found on MySpace. But you can find a million guys who are either touting their band's/their friend's band's amazing music or are still searching for love 16 years after high school or who are caught in some purgatory-like state between marital bliss and killing their ex-wife.

2. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I know you were kidding HeinekenMan. I'm just saying, through what I've read, seen on TV and heard from my friend (who, by the way, experienced a threesome after skinny dipping with two "myspace girls" a few years ago), that's what I, too, assume to be on that site.

3. grrlhack

grrlhack Member

Count me with the crowd that says, "You get what you want" out of these sites. I like blogging on Myspace. I opened the facebook account for a story and never go there. I don't go searching for much of anything on Myspace. I simply use it to blog. I have a few pictures up, no fancy slide shows. Oh, I DO have a lava lamp on my page. It's simply fabulous! I'm not a big commenter either. Every now and then one of my friends leave me a comment and I reciprocate. Also, I don't have 4 million friends. I personally know everyone on my friends list in real time. I knew them well before Myspace. Now, as has been said, it's a convenient way to check out photos on friends who live a long way from here.

Not a bad thing. It's just what you make of it. And I'm in my 30s too. Not an old fart, but not a teenage either. :)

4. djc3317

djc3317 Guest

actually you kind of are an old fart. 8)

grrlhack's one of my myspace buddies, among a handful of people who reside here. I'm a big fan of the myspace. for some reason, my friends have taken to leaving many haikus on my comments section lately. several of them are about me fucking my great dane. not sure exactly why they're so taken with implying that.

5. grrlhack

grrlhack Member

That's it DJC...I'm taking away the compliment I gave you in my blog, dammit!!!!!

Now I have to actually read your page, I guess.

6. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Why did I just read all three pages of this thread?

7. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Well, CU, if you're like me, you're a pathetic loser with nothing better to do on a Saturday night. But that's okay. Next Saturday, we can find each other on MySpace and then we can, well, never mind. Hey, why don't you pull out a wad of my chest hair or something.

8. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Thank god I work on Saturdays.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Once again, Slate gets a story idea from SportsJournalists.com: http://www.slate.com/id/2161456/nav/tap1/

10. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

[​IMG]

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I don't think there's any higher weirdo factor on Myspace or Facebook than there is in real life.

I am a little creeped out, though, by some of the more passionate defenses of it in this thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted