1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Facebook, MySpace et al (aka the 'Geez I'm just old' thread)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Freelance Hack, Mar 1, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Yes, keeping in touch with college friends is "weird."

2. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

After reading the posts on here, I see myspace et al might not be all of what I think/know it to be.

To whoever (whomever?) mentioned bands, my apologies, I forgot about that. My friend is an entertainment reporter and registered for myspace to keep track of local bands.

Still, I can't over the fact it's used primarily by teens, dirty old men and those who just want people to look at them.

I just don't think I can/want to sit there and surf through all the crap to find other journalists or baseball fans or classic rock fans, like me.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

As of 5:22 p.m. PST today, there are 159,622,945 -- that's 159 million, mind you -- registered profiles on MySpace. I sincerely doubt that "teens, dirty old men and those who just want people to look at them" make up even a sizable majority of those 159 million.

Hold onto your stereotypes if you want them. But as was said earlier, MySpace can be whatever you want it to be. And if you don't want to be around the teens, dirty old men and attention whores, you don't have to be. There are plenty of other people on that site -- and all over the Web -- who aren't.

4. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Well done sir. Absolutely hilarious. Resume you're ball busting.

5. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Buck. I agreed with you already.

All I'm saying is that the only press myspace gets is bad. (i.e SNL skits, CNN reporting the dirty old men, mydeadspace.com, etc.)

6. melock

melock Well-Known Member

It's actually not that hard to sort through that stuff.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

MySpace is a spyware flytrap, for starters.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Which is it? Do you use it and have you contracted spyware? Or do you not use it since you think it's "weird"?

Not trying to be a dick, I'd really just like to know.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I use it insofar as I can track former co-workers who have told me about me their pages, yes. I have picked up spyware, yes.

And I'm not trying to be a dick, either. There's just something about it that skeeves me out. I don't understand why we all need a portal into our world.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Not the same thing.

SportsJournalists.com is ... well, it's a message board. And that's it.

Having a site on MySpace or Facebook is different because you have to spend time maintaining it (checking mail, posting pictures, adding a song to annoy entertain visitors to the page).

I have a MySpace account. At least, I think I might still have a MySpace account. I never added anything to it beyond one half-hearted blog entry and never log in there. I just have other things I'd rather do than mess with it.

11. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Agreed. Some people go crazy over it, others not so much. I have one on both, but I check MySpace more. I've kept in touch with old friends, made some new ones and keep up with the bands I like.

12. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

That's how I feel, and I don't know why.

Draft saved Draft deleted