1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Facebook, MySpace et al (aka the 'Geez I'm just old' thread)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Freelance Hack, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I'm a communications director for a Young Democrats group and someone sent me a head's up about an event that's happening tomorrow. I asked for more information and all I get was a link to a Facebook page. To get it, I had to register.

I really wish I hadn't done that. I've never felt so old in my life. It was like the last time I went to my favorite bar on 18-and-over night and all the high schoolers with fake IDs were running the place.

What is it about sites like Facebook and MySpace that are so appealing to people? And is it wrong for a 32 year old guy to feel kinda creepy about being on it?

2. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

32? Yes. I'm 24 and I'm on it, but I have been since my junior year of college and I'm still only in the network for my college.

3. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

I recently spoke to a journalism class at the local university.
    I asked the class, of about 25 students, how many of them had MySpace and how many had Facebook pages.

About 15 had MySpace. And 24 had Facebook.
    I asked why the preference for Facebook and most said because it's easier to connect with college friends on Facebook and I guess you have to be a friend in order to add a friend or see his/her page.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I spent about 10 minutes on myspace. Once.

Felt like my IQ dropped about 40 points just being there.

Won't be back.

5. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I'm 31. Several friends of mine, whose ages are anywhere from 28-31, have myspace accounts.

I registered about two years ago because my one idiot friend would post pictures of everything up on his myspace. I hate it. I make sure to never be caught on camera doing anything when he's around because it ends up on that stupid site.

I only registered to keep an eye on his site and keep my mug off it.

Myspace is nothing but a bunch of attention-seeking teens (or egotistical or insecure only children like my friend) waiting for someone to tell them how cool or hot they are.

All of sudden, Facebook is the rage. I get an invite to join every day. They come from people who have seen my e-mail address in forwards, from people I went to high school with, from the same myspace users I just complained about.

Personally, I think myspace is a place for people who are too much of a loser to meet people IN REAL LIFE.

6. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

Tell us how you really feel. Don't hold back.

There are a small percentage of people who are on there to meet new online friends or lay some e-pipe on fake internet chicks, but that percentage is small. It's a great networking tool, a place to keep up with old acquaintances, a means to discover new music you wouldn't hear elsewhere, etc., etc.

I guess I'm too young to post on this thread. Resume your ranting.

7. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Ditto, CR. You said it best. And I'm not too young to post on this thread.

8. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I don't have an account, won't have an account. But if you want one, suit yourself.

I just hope it has either an overhaul or has its plug pulled before my kids want a myspace/facebook account.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Thinking you are too cool to have an account on one of these sites jumped the shark long ago.

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I go to the MySpace music sites, becuase pretty much every act known to man has one and they usually have four songs in full that you can play (and sometimes download for free).

But for the most part, MySpace = Good Charlotte/Simple Plan/Fall Out Boy-listening self-cutting emo poseurs.

11. John

John Well-Known Member

I don't get it either. Our part-timer is on either Facebook or MySpace every couple of minutes and I've yet to hear a good reason why. I'll look over his should and just see a bunch of pictures and gibberish.

12. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I'm 25 and I have both the Face & the Space. I like it because it lets me keep in touch with my friends from college and high school to see what they're up to. It's also fun just to post up pictures of funny times for a quick laugh. Plus, I can see that if you work late at night for most of the week, it's also a decent place for single people. You have a better idea of who you're talking to, granted you can bullshit to no end on Myspace, but at least you know you're talking to a nut-case instead of bumping into one at the bar, bringing her/him home and then see that person de-volve into an out-and-out Looney Tune.

Commence ball-busting.

Draft saved Draft deleted