1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Facebook? LinkedIn? Both?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny Dangerously, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

Social networking = the new mullet.

Linkedin in the front, Facebook in the back.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Fuck, is that funny.

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

So's your face.

4. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

LinkedIn is definitely the more professional of the two sites. There's a good bit of research available on the free site and even more to tap into if you're willing to pay $25 or more a month.

If you're strictly looking into it for job-seeking purposes, then I'd use the free site. If you think you might use the research/data capabilities, then you should consider a subscription.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Damnit! I never see that coming.

6. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Neither does your wife, which is weird, because anyone can count to eight.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

If she were that smart, would she have married BYH?

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

JD asks for help and it deteriorates into BYH jokes? Can we keep that stuff off this thread please?

Both. Linkedin is Facebook for grown-ups.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I guess both. But I am not sure how much of a difference it really makes. My job situation is a bit different, but if anything I am more concerned about anything negative that someone might perceive about me on a site like Facebook (which I am more active on than LinkedIn) than I am about whatever nebulous professional benefit I might get from being on the site. But I am not looking for a job, so I'd take my advice for what it is worth.

I really try to keep Facebook separate from anything professional, although 4 or 5 people I deal with professionally have found me on there and I added them as friends. My friends are basically people I had lost touch with or friends who I am still friends with, but don't see as often as I used to. It's fun, but I try to limit what I share a little and I try to keep it mostly private. I am on LinkedIn, but only because I started getting e-mails from people asking me to join their network. I don't actively do anything with it.

In a job search, my guess is that the only benefit of doing them (and I guess why not sign up for both?) would be that when a would-be employer googles your name they come up with some stuff that isn't negative, and if you are on some social-networking sites it shows that you are young enough and online savvy enough to be active on a social-networking site. Maybe LinkedIn has some other professional benefits since it is supposed to be a professional networking site. But I find that networking--and I am don't actively really think about networking--is best done in real situations, not impersonally online.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Ding, ding.

11. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

JD, I tend to use both. I feel like any resource I have for putting my work in front of other people is a valuable one. I don't do as much with my LinkedIn account as I should, but I'm getting better with it.

PM me, shoot me an e-mail, ring me up if you want to discuss it further.

12. BRoth

BRoth Member

There was a story on the Yahoo(!) front page a few days back about tips for finding a job. Can't find the link to it right away, but it was by some financial "guru/headhunter" who noted that it's worthwhile to join both. Facebook to show that you're connected with what's going on and what's popular (maybe even Twitter?) and LinkedIn as your professional resource where people could easily find your info.

Draft saved Draft deleted