1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Facebook in the office

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ColbertNation, Jun 27, 2009.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Much depends on the relationship you have with your boss.

At my previous shop, there would be no way in Hell I'd accept a friend request from the CEO or publisher. Granted, the likelihood they'd be on Facebook to begin with was zero, but still.

Having said that, I friended many of my employees and interns had many employees and interns friend me. Of course, the likelihood I'd really care what people did on Facebook was about as slim as the likelihood I'd friend my bosses.

I generally only friend people whom I know, so I'm sure that plays into it, but the short answer is this: If you don't feel comfortable with your boss friending you on Facebook, don't accept the friend request. If you feel obliged to friend him, set up your privacy settings so that he only sees the barebones basics if you feel he's doing it to spy on you.

2. Sp0rtScribe

Sp0rtScribe Member

I agree with this wholeheartedly as well. I should've done that in the first place, but, as Cadet said, I'm too far into the game to look back.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I defriended everyone at work except those who don't directly work with me after I was told that someone I did work with was telling higher-ups that I was posting unkind things about my job. Never mind that the higher-ups were both friends and would have seen such things. But I determined it wasn't worth the headache.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

So how would this work? Would you use two different names? What if your friends try to friend you on your work account, or the other way around? It's the one thing that's keeping me off facebook, trying to separate all these people.

5. OrangeGrad

OrangeGrad Member

I've been using facebook some to double-check the spelling of kids' names in roundups. If there's a weird spelling, I'll check to see if the kid has a facebook page to check the spelling. Obviously I don't try to be the kid's friend, but it's a helpful tool to double-check spellings. The kid created the page, so the spelling has to be right.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

21 - I don't do this so I don't know for sure. Someone can correct me. I think you can create friends lists and decide what lists get to see what information. "Family" can see everything, "work" can see limited stuff and so on. But just one account, one name.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, I need my family seeing everything. 'Darling, you have such wonderful friends on Facebook, why do they keep asking about Lou?'

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, that was just an example. You can set it so family can't see squat and work can see everything. However you want to do it!

Draft saved Draft deleted