1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Facebook game

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Or maybe you defriended me.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

The eternal question.

3. I have the exact number of minority (black, Hispanic and Asian) friends as I do friends I've never met. Both equal 8 percent of my total names.

Many of the people I've never met are through here, though quite a few are actually people who married real-life friends and relatives.

The final number is three, including my wife who is aware of the other two.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I just went and looked. Apparently your plan to defriend me failed.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

It's in the early stages. You never know when D-Day will come.

6. lono

lono Active Member

1. About 250 total, probably 40 of whom I can't recall meeting, including one who has a profile picture of herself pole-dancing.

2. About 15.

3. One.

7. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

109 friends. I've met all but one of them, though a few I've only met once and several I haven't seen in a decade.
    11 are minorities, not counting Jewish or gay people.
    I'll pass on the sex question.

A question for the journalists in the room: When a source/someone you cover tries to friend you, what do you do?
    I've gotten that a few times, and the first couple of times I accepted, more out of politeness than anything else. But then I stopped. Didn't seem appropriate, plus I figured they were just mass-blasting their address books and wouldn't notice if I ignored them. I'm on LinkedIn for my professional life. Facebook is a little more personal (even if half my friends are co-workers).

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

We just had that discussion in the office and the consensus is it's best not to be "friends" with sources.
    I have turned down a couple people who I know socially and well as professionally, as I may have to write about them in the future.

9. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Out of my 782 Facebook friends....

1. I've probably only not met 10 of them in person. I was wayyy into message boards in high school and only two of y'all are my FB friend.

2. I would say probably a quarter to a third. My close circle of friends in college included two African-American women, two Asian-American women and a Hispanic. And when I say my "close circle", I mean we all lived in the same dorm and hung out on a daily basis. Most of us have gone our separate ways (my friend Kim now lives in England) but we still call/text/Facebook each other. A lot.

Plus, if you add in the fact that my elementary school I went to was 75 percent Hispanic, that adds several "minorities" (I use that lightly because I was on the other side of that spectrum for six years) to my list.

3. I'm not going to answer this question.

However, it is possible to know that many people. I went through three different school districts and in college, was a member of the rowing team (which had numbers comparable to that of a football team), was on the newspaper staff for three and a half years and lived in the dorms for three years. Plus, most of my friends were all from different towns, so when their friends would visit from other colleges, they would be assimilated into our group. Then, last year, me and my four roommates had huge house parties, where we'd each invite 20 or so people, and those people would bring people and...you know how college is.

Plus, I have my ex's brother and his future sister-in-law on my f-list, mostly to drive him absolutely batty because I refuse to friend him and my profile is set to private. (And his brother lives in Dallas, while he lives in North Carolina, so it's not like he can pop over and log in as his bro to spy on me.)

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

782? Holy shit... I'm guessing you're either in college or just out of college.

11. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Graduated last May.

Plus, a bunch of my family members have decided to get on Facebook (talk about no privacy. Now, my aunt spies on me on Facebook and reports back to my mother. God forbid she call me to ask me about stuff, but noooo. She goes to my mom. Oy.) so my friend numbers have multiplied in the last six months.

Draft saved Draft deleted