1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Facebook and the newsroom

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by budcrew08, Mar 31, 2010.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

We just recently did research on this, and I forget the exact numbers, but I believe about 65% of our audience was on Facebook. Twitter was something like 3%. Your tweets may be retweeted like crazy but it's still likely to have a fraction of the impact of a Facebook post.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

If you are successful in getting a Facebook fan page, the first thing you should do is invite every Facebook friend you have to join it. Invite us SportsJournalists.commers (I'm a fan of at least two papers thanks to connections here). You want to make sure you have a base of users so that when people find your site, they think it must be popular.

Also, make sure to set up a custom URL so you can show up higher on search. It's very easy to do.

3. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

These are all great ideas. thank you guys.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Where did you do research on this? In the newspaper? On your web site? Not a challenge: seriously interested in knowing. Was it a scientific poll?

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

It was an outside research company hired to look at promotion. I believe they polled 500+ people - not sure how scientific it was. They found that the number of people we reach with Twitter is dwarfed by the number you can hit with Facebook. And anecdotally I can tell you that I maintain a Twitter feed for my newscast and probably 90% of the followers are PR people. Our station Facebook page seems to get far more "real people."

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I have always suspected that about Twitter. People think it's a monster but that's usually just because people in their social/professional circle are on it. Facebook, on the other hand, is pretty darned pervasive.

I wish my paper would have a page but its Web site is subscription-based, so any links would be to stories which only have the first couple graphs. So it probably wouldn't be a perfect fit.

7. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I disagree playthrough. It's still a great fit because you are still driving traffic to your site. Any promotion is better than no promotion. If you continue to post interesting headlines on facebook you are essentially "selling" readers on the idea of paying for the subscription.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Agree, any promotion is better than none. And as I said, I wish my paper had a FB page. But I don't think someone would buy a subscription because they saw one or two stories that piqued their curiosity. I think they'd instead be annoyed after the first few clicks.

The more likely scenario might be that a grandma across the country sees that we wrote a story about her grandson, and pays the 75 cents to get a hard copy mailed to her. Which is perfectly cool. Some might say that's 75 more cents than we'd get from "traffic" on the site.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

It's a monster depending where you live. This summer when I was vacationing in NYC, we used Twitter to find out where the best streat meat vendor was. He had an enormous following and he helped his business.

For larger newspapers it can be succesful. I think the New York Times increased web hits by 10 percent through Twitter.

10. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

You're not going to sell everyone, and you'll probably piss many more off than you'd get to sign up. But if you get one out of 10 (or one out of 100, the number's not important to the point) who click to pay for a subscription, it's more than you get without a FB page. It's simple sales. It's all a numbers game and it starts with getting your brand in front of as many eyeballs as possible. And as others have pointed out, it's really quick and easy to post a link so it's not labor intensive.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

It's Free?

12. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Same here. Wish it wasn't that way.

Draft saved Draft deleted