1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Facebook and the media

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Flash, Oct 30, 2008.

1. When the Spitzer debacle unfolded last March, the NYT basically wrote a profile of his "gal pal," with photographs, from her MySpace page. My impression was that they basically lifted it all. The result was odd -- a serious-type NYT profile peppered with casual quotes from MySpace about her life's aspirations, favorite colors, etc.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

How is taking a Facebook photo different from -- say -- using a mugshot out of a school yearbook?

Thing with Facebook is that a photo of you can be posted on your site by someone else. You don't have anything to do with taking or posting it. How are you going to give permission?

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

If you don't want it published, don't put it on the internet.

4. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Jay, the thing with Facebook is that anybody can put a picture up of you, with or without your consent. You can untag it, but the picture is still there as long as the original uploader decides to keep it up. So it's not always a case of whether you want it put on the net.

5. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I wanted to say that terms of service clauses, or the "click through" agreements didn't stand up in court and I remember hearing that in some intellectual property law classes I took somewhre along the line.

Draft saved Draft deleted