1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Facebook and MySpace comes back to haunt you

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Jul 19, 2008.

1. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

Nahhh. I was just shocked he actually responded.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

well how in the fuck do you like that? good with me. ;)

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Folks, get a grip.

It's Hondo.

He pretty much hates anything that doesn't fit into his Wonder Bread world view.

We know he has a hard on for Muslims, skateboarders, kids with their pants hung low, and oh, rap music.

And it's not a generational thing. I'm probably at least, oh, 10-15 years older than Hondo --maybe more---and he makes me feel young

4. He makes me feel intelligent.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

JR, I love you...but this is serious glass house/stones territory.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

What are you talking about?

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

glass houses and stones. jesus, read, man, read. :D

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

You're kind of judgmental against anything that doesn't fit in YOUR world view as well.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

turn down that damn Hockey Night in Canada!!!!

10. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Basically. I've moved around several times in my life and thanks to Facebook and MySpace, I've been able to find and catch up with people I knew 15 years ago. My basic ideas of Facebook and MySpace involve:

-Privating EVERYTHING
    -Only friending people I know
    -Not doling out private information. I posted my new cell phone number when I moved for about a week so that when people saw a random number pop up, they could figure out it was me.
    -My pictures on MySpace are laughable. It's a bunch of pictures of me with my dog, me with various friends on their wedding days, hanging out in the dorm, whatever. My pictures on Facebook might be a little more dangerous but all of my drinking pictures were posted WELL after my 21st birthday, when I was legal. When I was starting my job search, I even went back through my Facebook profile, increased the security and privacy features and went through my interests and stuff to make sure there wasn't anything in there that could hurt me.

My basic use for Facebook is to communicate with my friends, whom I now live 700+ miles away from. With them having such opposite schedules as me, it's a very convenient way to keep up with them when talking on the phone is just not the best possibility in the world. (We also are no longer on the same cell phone service, so all of our calls that aren't on nights, when I'm at work, or on weekends, cost us minutes.)

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Sweet. I'm 25 and, apparently, that makes me dumb. At least I know it's official now. Thanks, skipper.

I'm asked every time I go out with friends (or talk to KY) if I've got a Facebook or MySpace account, and when I tell them I don't, they all ask, "Why?" It's not because of my career or because of the trash that's out there. I just don't want to be part of the trend. I thought it was pointless in college, and I think it's pointless now -- for me.

I don't have that many friends anymore -- probably about 10 with whom I keep in touch -- and we're cool with keeping in touch through e-mails, texts and phone calls. We've got to, well, because I'm the only one of them without Facebook or MySpace accounts. Sometimes we lose touch, which happens naturally, but most times we're good.

One of my friends, a teacher, completely disabled her accounts when she was hired. She didn't want her kids to find her. Another friend, another teacher, didn't sign up for either account because of that same reason. I think that's the smart reason -- drunken party photos or not. You just shouldn't want so much of your personal life exposed to those you're in charge of teaching and, more importantly, influencing. But that's just my take, obviously.

I'm going to go back and play with the electrical sockets now.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

I hope this is not one of those times when you have 10,000 spoons when all you need is a fork.

Cause I can loan you several forks.

Draft saved Draft deleted