1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Facebook and MySpace comes back to haunt you

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Jul 19, 2008.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

In more ways than one.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,386241,00.html

Reinforces my theory that this is the dumbest smart generation ever. They're incredibly tech-saavy about computers, the internet, cell phones, video, etc., but they're stupid beyond belief in what they do with that technology and the fact that they believe those photos taken at drunken frat parties or cavorting in underwear with the rest of your cheerleading squad can be posted somewhere, and never come back to bite you in the ass. The case of this idiot kid in Philadelphia who ran down two women is also another example.

Will they never learn? The internet is forever, baby.

2. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Just treat your facebook page like a public forum that anyone can access - because that's really what it is - and you're fine.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This is no different than something that could have happened without a social networking site. The guy sounds like a jerk. He was at a party two weeks after his drunk driving incident. But someone else took the pictures and someone else put them online. The only lesson I can think of, in terms of behavior coming back to haunt you is, "Don't go to a party dressed like an idiot and let people take pictures of you partying two weeks after you are charged with drunk driving."

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

More than 15 years ago I covered a speech given by a mayor of some rinky-dink town. I don't even know what the occasion was, some kind of American Legion dinner or something like that. The mayor had recently been arrested for DUI. He spent part of the speech making jokes about his DUI.

He is not part of the current dumbest smart generation.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I rarely post pics of myself on Facebook or MySpace.

Even though I have my profiles about as private as you can get, I'm still fairly certain some shit is going to get out if I'm not careful.

Basically, if you don't want your dirty laundry aired out on the Web, don't put it up. Period.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

There's nothing smart about this generation.

7. I always think about things like this with my facebook and myspace profiles, even though I lead a relatively tame life. As they say, the internet is serious business.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Okay, he's was dumb. But in terms of an entire generation, this bunch 25 and under has got to be on stupid pills.

9. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

That's a fantastic broad brush with which you're painting.

10. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

I'm over 25, so I know you're not talking about me.
    [​IMG]

11. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

I'm not going to repeat my reply to a similar post of yours from a week or so again, because you'll ignore it too.

But you are, without question, one of the biggest jackasses I've ever come across in person or on a message board. And if you're what you consider smart, consider me dumber than a rock.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Don't let college boy get you down, hondo. I'm on your team on this one, man!

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted