1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Face-The-Music" Time, Cindy! Even NATIONAL REVIEW Says So!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ben_Hecht, May 22, 2008.

1. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

They file separately. McCain signed a prenupt before they got married. Therefore that is all he makes.
    I believe because of this Cindy can't just fill up McCain's election fund. I think she's held to the same laws as us. So I think that ads to why she shouldn't have to share her returns.

2. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Well, that's all the information that CNN had, since Cindy hasn't released her returns. So their choice was to include McCain sans Cindy or not include him at all. Did you check the transcript to see if Wolf Blitzer mentioned that Cindy's returns not being available might skew the results?

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you only can imagine my dissapointment when i realized this wasn't a thread about cindybj.

4. That's easily fixed.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Personally, I thought this was going to be about Cindy Sheehan.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080523/ap_on_el_pr/cindy_mccain_taxes_3;_ylt=AqG1FUz9BfHFOTF0BiylTslh24cA

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

One small step for mankind.

8. RedSmithClone

As I said a post or two earlier. They file separately. So that is his income.

The others all file jointly meaning they can use each others money freely.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Wrong. Candidates can only use so much of their spouse's money.

10. nbalum

nbalum Guest

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/19/opinion/19mon4.html?scp=2&sq=cindy+mccain&st=nyt

11. RedSmithClone

Really? Even if it is considered their money? They file jointly? Who can tell which portion is his and which is hers?

In McCain's case, with a separate filing situation that is definitely a lot easier to find out.

12. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

You are both somewhat right.

If the candidates file jointly, then the candidate has access to 50% of the value, regardless of how much each actually contributed. If Candidate A and spouse filed jointly and Candidate A only contributed 25% of the total amount, the candidate still access to 50% of it for purposes of self-funding. This is in effect unless the candidate and spouse have a different legal setup for the property (i.e. a prenup).

For example, when John Kerry took out a mortgage on the house that he jointly owned with THK, he only had access to 50% of the resulting money.

If the candidate and spouse do not file jointly, then the candidate does not have access to them as "personal funds" and the spouse's contributions are limited to that of any other citizen.

Draft saved Draft deleted