1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Face it: Daughter may want to have sex before marriage

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Shaggy, Mar 28, 2007.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Well, it's kind of like a Seattle Mariners-Colorado Rockies World Series.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I've seen a few of the previous 13 posts, and he doesn't bring much more to the table than that.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think there is a difference between anti-choice and anti-abortion just as there is a difference between pro-choice and pro-abortion.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Not really. They are just tags each side prefers or likes to stick on their opponents.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

oop --

I don't for a minute think that a majority of the people in this country who are against abortion are anti-woman. But then again, a lot of people who aren't going to have abortions personally still believe the procedure should be an option for others.

I think the political apparatus behind the movement most certainly is. Stories like these don't occur in a vacuum.

6. outofplace

That is your opinion, but to use the labels interchangeably is inaccurate. There are people out there who are very much against abortion, but understand they don't have the right to take away a woman's right to choose.

7. outofplace

That was the point I took issue with earlier. To label every person in this country who is against abortion as being anti-woman is unfair and inaccurate. There is definitely an element of mysoginy in the anti-abortion movement, but as you said, it's not the majority.

8. But it is the driving philosophical dynamic underlying the movement.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

So what do you do, hand your daughter a couple of Gold Coins on the way out the door on Friday night and give her a wink?

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Careful, now, oop.

It's not the majority of the people who would identify themselves as against abortion in a phone survey.

But it is a majority of those working in the movement. And it's sad. I've seen them and worked against them very closely, and they are some of the scariest people I have ever met.

One group had children younger than twelve knocking on doors during school hours. Predictably, people asked them why they weren't in school.

Home schooled, every last member of their campaign.

Three_Bags --

You tell her what you want to tell her. You want her to wait. You know that hormones are driving her decisions right now, and you;d love it if she could make such an important decision with a clear head.

You tell her that if she is going to do it, it has to be safe and it cannot be a one-night stand. You tell her you will always be available to talk about anything she wants to talk about. And you tell her that you love her and want her to be happy.

Believe me, I know what pricks 16 year old boys can be, and the prospect of having that talk scares the shit out of me. But you certainly don't make her profess an abstinence pledge to you. That's just creepy.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I agree. I would call the people in your example pro-choice rather than pro-abortion.

What would constitute someone being pro-abortion anyway? Someone who believes that no baby should be carried to term?

Pro-choice and anti-abortion seem to be the most accurate way to go.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Sorry. Should'a turned on the sarcasm font.

The sarcasm's dripping off that one.

Draft saved Draft deleted