1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Face it: Daughter may want to have sex before marriage

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Shaggy, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

On the HPV vaccine, I can see why people would be against it. It should be a decision each family makes, not something forced on them by government.

It's not like you can spread cervical cancer. The vaccine doesn't eliminate the virus -- only prevents you from possibly getting cervical cancer.

So, since you wouldn't endanger anyone else, the government shouldn't be forcing shots on you.

Now, personally, I would have my daughter get the shot, and I would hope everyone else would.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

all joking aside, i think it would have been fair to tell the woman to suck pig cock in hell and then pushed her out of the plane.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

CU, I could not and would not have stayed quiet had that woman been next to me. Kudos to you for biting your tongue and putting up with it.

4. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

During my tenure in Kansas, you would not believe the crazy shit strangers would say to me while just presuming I would agree. I grew up in Mississippi and Texas, and these motherfuckers are the scariest right-wing nutjobs I've ever encountered.

EDIT: Except for Oklahoma. :eek:

5. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

My mother has told me since college that I would be "stupid" for either A) marrying the first woman I slept with, B) getting married as a virgin or C) not living with someone before marriage.

On the other side, though, I don't have any children yet, but I have a 21-year-old baby sister who makes me lose sleep some nights. I don't know what I will do if I have daughters. I don't know how dads deal with it.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Wow. So many different angles here.

I'm not a big fan of characterizing the entire anti-abortion movement as anti-women. I do believe there are some people who truly find abortions to be abhorrent, truly believe that a living being is being killed, and they are simply willing to do whatever is necessary to prevent that. I don't agree with their politics, but I understand them.

I guess you could say that I am pro-choice and anti-abortion. I don't believe having an abortion is right, BUT I don't think it is my place or the government's place to tell a pregnant women what to do with her body.

My wife and I will not be preaching abstinence for all of the reasons mentioned above (doesn't work, waiting until marriage can be bad, etc.) and will be teaching her to be safe. And if I find out some day that she is sexually active before marriage, I will try to be supportive and just make sure she is being safe. But would it be wrong if after she and I have this open and caring father-daughter conversation, I went out to find the guy she was active with and cut off his offending body parts? :)

Oh, and I definitely want my daughter to get that shot. My family has fought far too many losing battles with cancer to pass on any chance to give her some protection from it.

7. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I sent the story link to my girlfriend, and here was her e-mail response:

"It isn’t good stuff...it is weird and true. My baptist church when I was in middle school wanted us to sign these pledge sheets committing to the same thing...and if you did you wore this ring on your left ring finger, like you would if you were married....AAHHHHHHHH!!!"

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I think the fear, Ace, is whether or not HPV is transmittable, how many people will proactively go out and get the shots? And for those who don't, there's a cost to society if someone DOES get cervical cancer because they didn't get the shot.

Not saying I want the government to mandate it, but I can understand why that's the tack some have taken.

9. I'm so leery about the pharmaceutical companies that it outweighs mt revulsion for the anti-sex agenda of the people fighting this vaccine. And, while I believe that there are anti-choice people who are sincere, I believe the anti-choice moverment as a movement is obviously anti-woman.

10. Note to self:

Don't take advice from this site on the following issues: Parenthood, pre-marital sex, post-marital sex, bestial sex, child rearing, abortion, spaying and neutering, vaccination, church, reverends, reverend parents, parent reverends and bestial reverends who are parents.

11. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Well, Legacy of Mike Lum, if you have something to say, then say it. Wax eloquently, or state simply. No one's stopping you. "Note to self: Don't take advice from this site" doesn't say very much. Elaborate, please.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What is "post-marital sex?"

Draft saved Draft deleted