1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Face it: Daughter may want to have sex before marriage

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Shaggy, Mar 28, 2007.

1. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Wasn't the deal with the vaccine that it would loose doctors a lot of money? Even doctors came out against that bill in Texas IIRC. I know I read something along the lines of a "This is a good idea but enacted in a crappy way" sentiment.

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Zeke, your point segues into something I saw on the news yesterday: a Texas senator is proposing a bill that would pay pregnant women $500 if they choose to have the baby rather than have an abortion. The CNN reporter nearly bit his head off when asking if this was akin to "baby brokering".

Here's an objective article (FAUX News jumped all over it):
    http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA032307.08A.abortion.36898bf.html

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Actually, Texas was the first state to require the vaccination for school-age girls. Many states have followed suit. Soon it will be on the list with mumps, measles, chicken pox, etc.

4. amraeder

Ouch, my bad

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I have no idea about the specific law in Texas, but here's what I do know: This vaccine, if given to every girl in America before she started having sex (you need two shots spread out over a period of time, IIRC) could effectively eliminate cervical cancer. Let me type that again. Effectively eliminate cervical cancer.

Of course, the wingnuts came out in force swearing that if we added a shot to girls' innoculations that they'd be fucking in the street like dogs in heat. So a lot of states came up with halfass compromise bills that allowed government funding for the shots but did not require them.

THAT's when a lot of doctors started getting quoted in the media explaining how vaccines, you know, tend to work best when EVERYONE gets them.

6. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

'The talk' with my dad - who is a minister - took place at two different times - both times consisting of one sentence.

The first time it was "If you're going to have sex before marriage, put a condom on" he yelled to me from the front of the van to the back seat. I was sitting by myself.
    The second time it was "Do not marry the first girl you have sex with."

7. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Can you talk my friend from the threesome thread? That boy has lost his damn mind.

8. John

John Well-Known Member

Don't call me daughter.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Cadet --

Thanks for the heads up. Hadn't heard about this one.

Equally insidious are the "pregnancy clinics" featured in Time a while back, which have actually been around for a long time now.

They look and act like actual clinics, though no doctors are present. They do not offer emergency contraception. They do, however, give ultrasounds. They often lecture women about abortion being wrong. They offer them financial assistance, provided they keep the baby. They offer no assistance after the baby is born. They are funded exclusively by anti-abortion groups.

These groups are now pushing laws in various statehouses to make ultrasounds mandatory before an abortion can be performed.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

I can't wait til Hondo and Yawn get on here to edumacate us.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

But Hondo likes lesbians!

12. amraeder

Good to know. The only state I heard about (for some reason) was Texas. Guess I'm too cut off from the real world up here in the land of the midnight sun.

Draft saved Draft deleted