1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Face it: Daughter may want to have sex before marriage

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Shaggy, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070322/lf_afp/afplifestyleussexchastity_070322082138

A new trend among conservative Christians: A purity ball, where the daughter pledges to daddy that she won't bone before marriage. Like she knows at age 10 how her hormones will shake out by age 17.

Here's the telling part:

Moral of story: Don't think that preaching abstinence will solve the problems.

Say your house is sex. Telling your daughter not to go in the house and leaving it at that won't solve it. It might be rainy outside.

Instead, tell her you would rather her not go in the house, but if you do, please don't punch out the fucking window with your fist because it could cut an artery and kill you. Instead, use the key under the mat and make sure to lock the door behind you.

Comments?

2. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Re: Face it: Daughter will have sex before marriage

Well, I did want a daughter.

3. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

As Bob Barker used to say, "Remember to have your kids spayed and neutered."

4. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

I know someone who works with HIV/AIDS patients, and she has heard (on more than one occasion) a patient say that he/she didn't use a condom because the Church is against it.

Let that simmer for a moment.

5. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

That can't be true.

6. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

It is and it isn't. Is there any way to keep kids 11 forever?

Edit: Wow. That is the flattest curveball I've ever thrown. I'll leave it and see if any maturity shines through.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Study after study shows that teens who make abstinence pledges do not delay sexual activity any longer than those who don't make any pledges.

They do, however, engage in much more unprotected sex.

Abstinence-only sex education is a crock of shit. We're literally spending our tax dollars to give our kids VD. Sweet dreams.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Guess that explains why they fight against the HPV vaccine so much. They want their children to have VDs.

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Glamour magazine did a great article on this a few months ago.

Here's a feminist perspective, which actually has little to do with sex:

When a daughter "pledges" herself to her father, that establishes him as the man in her life. Until she meets her husband, when she vows herself to him. This smacks of the "women as property" mindset.

Also, this mindset facilitates the undermining any independence she gains as a young woman. She will go directly from her father's house to her husband's house, not having a chance to live her own life, make decisions for herself, learn from trial and error, and possibly get an education. Women in these situations often lack control over their reproductive choices.

And of course, the biggest problem I have with these "purity balls" is the double standard: where are the sons? Why are they not signing virginity pledges? Wink, wink. Nod, nod.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

WFW.

11. This is why I'm never having children, because I'd probably have to kill all potential boyfriends.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

You both make excellent points.

I've argued this on here before, but the anti-abortion movement is really an anti-woman movement, and they don't even bother to hide it anymore.

The same people are trying to hold back a vaccine that could wipe out cervical cancer, trying to deny women birth control, trying to hold up the morning after pill, trying to keep young girls ignorant about contraception and the prevention of STD's, etc. etc. They put their foot in the door with the save the babies nonesense, but this is their ultimate goal.

Draft saved Draft deleted