1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FAA to allow use of portable electronic devices during entire flight

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

No phone calls, though. Supposed to be in place by the end of the year.

FAA release:

http://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/ped/?cid=TW190

Washington Post story:

http://ow.ly/qmrse

Makes sense.

As Toby Zeigler said on in pilot episode of The West Wing way back in 1999: "We're flying in a Lockheed Eagle series L-1011. It came off the line 20 months ago and carries a Sim-5 Transponder tracking system. Are you telling me I can still flummox this thing with something I bought at Radio Shack?"

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

And our long national nightmare is over.

3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

This has been a gigantic waste of time; there's not a commercial flight in America that takes off with all electronic devices turned off.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I wonder if MLB will adjust their policy on PED's to be closer aligned with the
    FAA policy.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I use mine WHILE I'm flying. Shit, I checked the score five times last night while flying.

We have the same inertial navigation systems the airlines do. It's always been a ridiculous myth.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Isn't the theory, at least, that one phone signal won't do anything to the navigation systems, but 200 might?

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I am convinced the no phone rule is not for aircraft safety, but to prevent inevitable passenger-on-passenger in-flight homicides due to cell phone use.

8. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

This, 100 percent. I was on a 3-hour Amtrak ride on which a fellow passenger yammered away at ridiculous volumes for the entire trip. I cannot imagine anything worse than a plane full of these people.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yep, if electronic devices actually endangered the aircraft, they would confiscate them at the gate.

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Has Peter King just outed himself?

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

YEAH, I'M 10,000 FEET ABOVE THE AIR! REALLY!!! WHAT? WHERE ARE WE NOW?? LET ME LOOK OUT THE WINDOW. I'D SAY WE'RE OVER THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER RIGHT NOW...

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've been told that the "no cell phone" rule is because carriers can't agree on how to bill customers for the call... I have no idea if that's true, but it would make more sense than thinking that phones could impact the signals a pilot can get.

Draft saved Draft deleted