1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FAA Causes Panic in NYC...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Apr 27, 2009.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

...sending a jumbo airliner accompanied by a fighter jet over Manhattan, did not alert the public that it was for a photo shoot, and told police/fire not to alert the public. Mayor and other NY pols are not pleased.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local&id=6782403

If this isn't one of the dumbest stunts ever, it has to be in the top five and I can't think of the other four.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Brilliant idea, lets get a 747 and have it fly low over the Statue of Liberty, and lets make it even better, lets have the 747 be the Air Force One back-up plane and have an F-16 flying on its tail. We'll slip in, slip out, no one will notice.

Brilliance.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Your gubbernmint at work for you..

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Can some at the Defense Department provide one good reason why we need to go to this effort for a couple of pictures?

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Great idea. We have money to spend on this!

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

NY Post: 'Air Farce One'

http://www.nypost.com/seven/04272009/news/regionalnews/obama_plane_photo_op_startles_new_yorker_166470.htm

7. Hustle

Hustle Guest

That makes no sense whatsoever. If you listen to DC radio and TV long enough, you hear announcements that F-16s will be flying for a photo shoot or they're practicing maneuvers or whatever.

Why would NYC not do the same? Unreal.

And I'm glad to see I'm helping foot the bill for a few thousand gallons of Jet-A, all for a couple of glossies.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Ever hear of photoshop?

God our people in charge are stupid.

9. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Three bylines on a 12-inch story, at least two editors reading it and none of them can catch a simple grammar mistake.

10. Cousin Oliver

Cousin Oliver New Member

Spell check didn't catch it!

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Tonight's meme on the psychowingnut screeching academies: Obama himself ordered the idiotic exercise.

[​IMG]

12. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Was down there this morning and saw it and wasn't freaked out. But I can see why some would be, especially if they were here on 9-11, which I wasn't.

Draft saved Draft deleted