1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

F1 driver says Pope John Paul II didn't save him

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sportschick, Jun 30, 2007.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

So folks wanting to have the deceased pope beatified (sp) are going to be disappointed in this.

Kubica says Pope didn't save him

2. pallister

pallister Guest

This really makes the pope look bad.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I don't quite see the point of the story posted. But I'm pretty sure no saint is going to let the sex abuse scandal linger and grow the way it did under his watch.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I don't see where the guy said John Paul didn't save him. I just see that he said he doesn't know by whom he was saved or if anybody saved him.

That said, what an odd story. I had to read it about three times to understand the point. I thought somebody was suggesting John Paul pulled him from the wreckage or something. I guess people think having JP's name on his helmet is what saved him? OK, whatever.

5. "Even the pope's gotta pit, Cole."

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

My church is getting hard up for miracles.

Having watched it live, Kubica was saved by Pope Hans Device, with an assist from Cardinal Formula One Engineer, who build what is a near-indestructable chassis.

That said, if Kubica's monococque (word of the day!) is facing the other direction, with Kubica's head towards the wall at the end of his wreck instead of away from it, Kubica might be bragging to John Paul II right now about being the only Polish F1 driver ever. Pictures speak better than words in this case ...

[​IMG]

For the boys and girls out there ... Kubica is using textbook technique keeping his hands off the steering wheel in the middle of the accident as keeping your hands on the steering wheel in a wreck can break them (your hands, not the steering wheel). Be careful out there ... and good racing!

7. Thank you, Bubbler Cardinal LeMans.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Wow. I've probably seen the video 30 times by now, but that's the first time I've seen that photo. His feet are hanging out, and all he had is a concussion?

The advancement in safety since Senna's wreck is mind-boggling, but Kubica was still outrageously lucky to survive that.

By the way, I think every person in the US of Polish descent was at Indy for the race. Poles and Brazilians seemed to replace the usual Colombian and Tifosi hordes.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Speaking of Senna, does anyone remember Olbermann's line on "SportsCenter" after saying Italian authorities had begun their investigation into the cause of his death?

"So far they've ruled out prolonged illness."

10. lono

lono Active Member

I interviewed Senna a couple of times and he was always great. Wish I still had those tapes now.

When he and Prost were at McLaren-Honda, Prost couldn't understand why the Japanese engine mechanics were fiercely loyal to the blindingly fast but occasionally reckless Senna but indifferent to the tactically superior but more conservative Prost, who was nicknamed "The Professor."

"You have to understand," one of the lead engineers told Prost. "To them, you are 'The Professor,' but he ... he is the Samurai."

A brilliant flame gone too soon.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I was shocked though. There was still a decent sampling of Colombian flags around the track. I think many of Juan's fans came back because they like F1.

I hope the USGP comes back. I was speaking with a British journalist the day of the race and he wondered why Lewis (Hamilton) mania hadn't set in yet at Indy. I think the fact that Hamilton had only won his first race a week earlier didn't give Lewis Mania much of a chance to take hold.

Next year will be different, especially given that Hamilton would be defending champ.

12. Not as much as decomposition.

Draft saved Draft deleted