1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

F$#% you, Sporting News: Layoff names according to Big Lead

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Norrin Radd, Mar 27, 2013.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Then why bring it up? To remind us he is your friend?

And a close friend of mine is an excellent and widely respected journalist who was let go in the Yahoo purge in November. He is still looking. There just isn't much out there, especially for those with a lot of experience (i.e., high salaried).

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Drip's friend Garry wishes Drip would spell Garry's name correctly.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

LOL. Rip, I realized I misspelled it when it was posted and forgot to correct it. Thanks. And Cosmo, I just threw that out there. No big deal buddy.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

McNeal is so versatile. Can write, manage a staff, run a desk, work the desk. Was a great layout guy in the days before pagination. I once described him to an SE I worked for, when we were looking for a layout guy, as being "the Tom Seaver of layout guys," meaning the pitcher and not the ex-pitcher in the broadcast booth. Which shows you how long ago that compliment was made. Someone's got to hire him to do something.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

I have heard nothing but great things about Stan.

6. NYknight

NYknight Guest

I hear the black Michael Scott was booted upstairs to a "relationship job," a face-saver for the publisheR to cover up his colossal mistake of having him steer this disaster for the last two years.

7. baddecision

baddecision Active Member

Re "relationship job:" I would like to hear more details about this, please.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I would bet serious money that Whitley and Olsen are hired before their severance checks stop. I don't know the others well enough to comment...

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

I'd definitely throw in Cliff Brown in that mix. He's a pro's pro and definitely versatile.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

How did the white Michael Scott fare?

11. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Not so well, he got replaced on The Office.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

He'll manage.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted