1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

F$#% you, Sporting News: Layoff names according to Big Lead

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Norrin Radd, Mar 27, 2013.

1. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

I am definitely not bummed out for these people. In fact, I'm happy for them. Sure, it sucks to lose their jobs right now, but in the long run, they will be happier in their new endeavors. One of the greatest things that has ever happened to me is journalism kicking me out the door, and that's the same situation with all my ex-journalist friends. Most of us wouldn't have had the initiative to leave journalism on our own, but all of us are happier for it now.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

As journalists. I imagine all of them get hired, and rather fast.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I only read about soccer during World Cups, but Brian Straus was by far my favorite post-game read during the last one.

Lisa Olson is a tremendous feature writer who never fit in at Sporting News. I am confident she'll move on to something better.

Steve Greenberg is one of the better college basketball writers around and would be a smart hire for any media company covering the game. Matt Crossman also is excellent and was, like Greenberg, a perfect fit for Sporting News.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Alma. I hope you're right. I don't think it will happen that way, but I hope that you're right.

5. formere

formere New Member

Looks like this has something to do with all of the rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic, I mean, restructuring, at SN.

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/perform-acbj-team-up-to-form-sports-news-company---quick-facts-20130328-00045#.UVQ6GqXZXwx

Good people were let go yesterday. Feel for them. Just don't see how the continued reinvention of this company is going to last. I'll tell them what I was told two years ago when I got the news: It's better that it happened now.

6. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Where?

And for what rate of compensation?

There is simply not a spot for every talented individual anymore.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Silver lining, gb: You don't have to answer to Garry Howard any more!!!!

8. baddecision

baddecision Active Member

Truth.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

And please, no shots at Howard. This isn't about him.

10. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

There is that, yes.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Drip, you forgot to log out of your sock puppet here.

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

DeCourcy, get the hell out of there. The ship's sinking fast!

This is a fucking travesty. I read TSN religiously when I was growing up. It's been destroyed bit by bit.

Draft saved Draft deleted