1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

F$#% you, Sporting News: Layoff names according to Big Lead

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Norrin Radd, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Hope these are wrong. Do know they let go of one of their better college hoops guys today, though he's not on this list.

http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/2013/03/27/sporting-news-cuts-staff-significantly-12-writerseditors-fired-in-surprising-bloodbath/

I'd apologize for the thread title, but it's rather apt.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

It's a D_B, but I'm glad it got its own thread.

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

At least one person on that list posts on this board, sucks for everyone involved though. Hard to believe Fanhouse is pretty much wiped off the map now.

4. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Don't get me started on that fiasco. Lot of really good people displaced by that whole clusterf#$%.

5. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

And on the day Lisa Olsen gets a major award ... fucking perfect timing ...

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

A couple of close friends on this list. I'm definitely bummed out.

7. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

I'll go along with the thread title. The beancounters strike again, and good people get hurt.

(FWIW, Olson's Pioneer Award was announced last November.)

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

I hear you on the beancounters. I'm really sickened by this news.

9. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Damn, I just saw Clifton Brown at the Combine last month.
    Good guy.
    This is why I keep telling kids interested in getting into journalism to pick a different field.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Not only is he an outstanding journalist, he's an even better person. Lisa is also a great journalist and person. Man, this is such a dark day for this industry. I'm sure Gary Howard isn't feeling so comfortable today. And please, no shots at Howard. This isn't about him.

11. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Thanks for the reminder that Garry Howard still has a job while finer journalists do not.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Yeah. While I hate to see friends out of a gig, I have to also lump Howard in the friends category. As I said earlier, I'm sure he's not resting comfortably.

Draft saved Draft deleted