1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

F-R-E-E that spells scam, according to FTC

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/41025942.html

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd really like the FTC and the FCC crack down on advertisers who scam customers. There seems to be something wrong when stations are using the public airwaves to, in effect, assist in a scheme to defraud the public.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

In their defense, have you ever tried to write a catchy song with the slogan of ExpensiveCreditReport.com?

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

So I didn't have to dress up like a pirate after all? Damn.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You!? I never would have done the Renaissance Fair thing if I didnt have to

7. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I love that someone at the FTC has a sense of humor. That's so much more effective than some stuffy campaign or brochure.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Nothing illegal about what those companies do, though. They aren't defrauding anyone any more than anyone who sells you anything in a transaction you agree to. Go to freecreditreport.com. The terms are spelled out right on the first page. Don't cancel within 7 days and you will be billed $14.95 a month. They are selling a service. You might think the service is worthless, and it is, but someone else, for whatever reason they have, might disagree. They should be able to buy it if they want.

And the fact that you are giving them credit card information should be a clue to anyone that there is a charge involved. It's great if the FTC wants to do a public awareness campaign, and those videos were really creative, but they shouldn't be cracking down on anyone who is selling something perfectly legally.

9. Deregulation!
    Open markets!
    Caveat emptor, bitches.

10. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

And yet Kevin Trudeau continues to hack his "Cures They Don't Want you to Know About" Crap. The latest is getting out of debt. HEy, I got an idea don't put $15 grand on a credit card and pay your sh*t off on time.

Oh, and cancer is not cured by eating anise seeds and drinking vinegar or whatever treatment you say it is.

11. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

But if you buy my secret vitality drink, you can rid your body of the 4.9 pounds of waste glued to your intestinal walls.

Send $129.95 in three easy installments. Hurry! Don't delay!

1-888-YOU-MORAN

Draft saved Draft deleted