1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

F****** over by Snowmageddon 2010? Me too.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Della9250, Dec 26, 2010.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If my pants made it to the Bronx, I want to read the story of the journey.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Maybe that should be the next sj novella.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

The Brotherhood of Ragu's Traveling Pants

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Nothing involving Ragu could ever be a novella. That's long-form writing, right there.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I wrote a novella that I had to expand into something longer in order for my agent to try to sell it.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I drove home yesterday.

820 miles in 12:45.

Hertz has a rental office one block from my hotel in suburban New York (New Rochelle) and one block from my home in Chicago.

Got on the road about 8:30. Got to the GWB (14 miles) in 25 minutes. That would be good on any day.

The local roads weren't bad & we were the only ones on them. The highways to the bridge were basically down to one lane, but again, hardly anyone was out. The roads on the Jersey side of the bridge were a mess.

The hardest part might have been the wind. You needed two hands on the wheel at all times to keep the car on the road.

Sights along the way: an SUV totally engulfed in flames, a car in a ditch, and a tractor trailer that had tipped over.

Once we got through the Poconos it was fine. A little snow near Cleveland.

We were able to travel 75-80 for long stretches and, even with a slow start and a few breaks for food & to use the restroom, we still averaged about 64 miles an hour.

Had a splitting headache by the time I got home, but I got a full night's sleep and a full day's work in today.

Wouldn't have been home until tomorrow afternoon otherwise.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm shocked you could find a rental car. Would have thought those would have been snapped up pretty quick.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'd bet the cars at the airport were gone, but I was in the burbs.

They at least a few more available.

If I had know it would come to this, I would have rented a car on Sunday morning and gotten on the road before the storm hit.

9. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Yeah, but how many espresso machines did you fix along the way? I joke because I care.

10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

After getting super delayed on Amtrak today, I got into Manhattan a few hours ago and was shocked at the poor snow removal. I've been in the city after major snow before (granted none quite this bad) and was always surprised at how good things were. This time, it's like the DC snow removal people were in charge. I stepped on a pair of suit pants when I was trying to ford a 6 inch deep puddle of slush and water. Wonder where they came from.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Sounds like you saw the Giants' caravan returning from Green Bay.

12. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Nice.

Patriots stranded in Buffalo, and no hotels because of the World Juniors, so they stayed in Rochester an hour east, leading local media to go into minor frenzy. Patriots PR person wouldn't let them interview the team, but was willing to answer questions, one of which was "Did they go to Wegman's?", from a TV reporter.

"Um. No."

As cringe-worthy as that is, I picture this happening in our neck of the woods, and we would've done the same fucking thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted