1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

F--k you, George Lucas

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by outofplace, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Your link to them was the latest time I attempted to watch that guy. Didn't last as long this time. His fake character voice is so cool and hip, beyond my ability to appreciate.

I would be happy to read a transcript of his remarks.

2. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

The fake character voice is trying to be neither cool or hip, and if you watched at least the first 30 minutes, that is apparent.

He's trying to find a way to get people to watch 7 hours of critique about three spectacularly terrible movies. Kind of hard to do if you play it straight.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Look, I admit the originals weren't perfect. But to a 9-year-old in 1977, it was pretty damn magical. And that's the problem with Lucas tinkering with the originals, he's changing touchstones of our childhood. It be like adding the Great Pumpkin to the Charlie Brown Halloween special.

He can screw with the prequels all he wants. But leave the originals alone.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I thought Obi-Wan was likable enough, but that is a good point. It was always going to be a challenge to make hte audience really care about the turn just because everybody knew it was coming. But with those scripts and Christiansen's performance? Not even close.

If I remember, at best, the reaction was that it was cool to see him in badass Sith mode and then finally in the armor, and even that was ruined by one single word.

5. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

So don't buy the new versions. I don't see the problem here.

6. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

spot on

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I haven't. I won't. Hell, after I saw the first one in the theater I waited until the other two were on HBO to see them.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I know you have an intense hatred of hipsters. It's one of my favorite things about you, aside from your Lakers fandom and your willingness to join me defending Kobe in any argument that starts "It's too bad Kobe had to run Shaq out of town..."

But those clips are worth watching on this subject matter, hipster bullshit or no. There is some incredibly smart film criticism within. Trust me, just try to get through the stupid stuff.

9. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I tried watching the first one and had to turn it off after 10 minutes because of all the lame jokes and random stupidity. He could have made his points in about 1/10th of the time.

10. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

If you EVER rip on Skywalker again...

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You'll have to be clearer on which is the first one. Do you mean Episode IV?

12. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I was referring to the videos that DD posted, not the movies.

Draft saved Draft deleted