1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

F--k you, George Lucas

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by outofplace, Sep 1, 2011.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Yup. I've always been more of a Marvel guy, but I started reading more DC around the time of Identity Crisis a few years back (which was amazing, by the way). Since then, I've been amazed and disappointed by just how often they alter their entire universe.

I think that's why I was with so many Marvel readers who were furious about the reboot of Spider-Man a few years back. They used a deal with Mephisto (a version of the devil) that retconned away his marriage to Mary Jane and give him back his secret identity.

Massive reboots like that are lazy storytelling and a slap in the face of people who paid good money to read the stories that were undone. Yes, there have been some very good Spider-Man stories since. They eventually sucked me back in. But the really impressive feat would have been to tell great stories without taking the lazy path there.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

You knew this was coming. It's beginning to reach a point of self-mutilation.

It just shows George Lucas was never really an artist.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Massive reboots are the result of hack writers and lazy/stupid editors who are unwilling/unable to enforce canon and still produce interesting stories.

4. outofplace

Pretty much. There is this theory that Peter Parker and Clark Kent are better subjects for stories if they are not married. That's bullshit. They are just EASIER subjects.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Why doesn't Lucas do what everyone else does and just remake this shit?

6. outofplace

Let's all hope he Lucas doesn't read that and get any ideas. (Though I have to admit, my first thought was to try to figure out a cast for a remake.)

Seriously, I just don't think he wants to put in that kind of effort. It seems like he doesn't think he is finished with the original trilogy.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Maybe he could remake them and then fuck with the remakes when they came out on future Blu-Ray?

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

More than that, how many people are going to think to themselves, "I just gotta buy this new 'Return of the Jedi'!. Darth Vader yells Nooooo! in it!"

9. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I was watching the marathon on Spike today on and off and thought the same thing, that Lucas should just remake 4, 5 and 6 and quick jacking with them.
    IMO, he should have never gone back and made 1, 2 and 3. I remember being a kid in the 70s and hearing that there were going to be 6-9 movies and how great that was.

I don't care what Lucas claims, when he made New Hope and released it in 77, there is no way he had the whole story line planned out. The plot holes and easy/lazy coverups are too many. Maybe by the time of Empire he had it worked out, but not when the first (fourth) movie wrapped.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

The big problem with Lucas going back and making the prequels was that he didn't make the exact movies I wanted to see.

The whole time I watched each of the prequels, I kept saying to myself, "This isn't the movie I expected, and it's certainly not the movie I would have made! Therefore, it is crap!"

I swear, if only he had made a bunch of movies that were just like the old ones, everything would have been easier. Make Anakin into vader in the first one, then give us two movies of him hunting Jedi! Politics?!?! Forget that! Audiences - like me - just wanna see stuff blow up!

Stupid Lucas.

The early drafts of the first film are online. There are ideas, plot threads, character names and planet names that were thrown out of early drafts and showed up in the prequels.

Also, the prologue to the novelization of the first film, written by him in Fall 1976, gives some hints. He clearly had some kind of idea, though even as he has said, he had to fill in most of the blanks when he got around to making these movies. I'm not sure of the veracity of his assertions (or those of Gary Kurtz), but I can't say it actually matters to me at this point.

Here's some fun that may have been posted before:

http://www.retroist.com/2010/11/08/1978-style-star-wars-spoilers/

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I read an interview with Lucas where he said that of the story he had in mind for episodes I-III, Episode I contained 20 percent, II contained 20 percent and III contained 60 percent. So he had the basic story arc and when he finally made the new ones, he had to flesh out the rest of the plots.

I have no problem believing that Phantom Menace was 80 percent filler.

12. outofplace

I have to agree. The prequels had their battles and other action sequences, but most of them seemed almost secondary, with the exception of the final lightsaber battle between Vader (hey, he was Vader by then, just not in costume) and Kenobi.

I would have rather seen -- I Clone Wars, II Revenge of the Sith, III wiping out the Jedi. But Lucas wanted this to be all about Anakin's journey and he wanted to end it with putting on the armor. bleh.

Draft saved Draft deleted