1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

F Drunk Drivers - HARD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

you guys are going way over the top. wanting to BK or take a license away from a housewife for 10 years for having one too many glasses of wine at dinner is BS.

the guy moddy is referring to obviously is an asshole and drove like an asshole when he wasn't drunk. six citations in one day? really? should that cat have had another bite at the apple to begin with? think he would have possibly been driving 60 through that section even if he was sober?

i'm an old bastard with kids who doesn't get all fucked up and drive. but to suggest we should ruin upstanding citizen's life because s/he might make a bad choice and be on the line is ludicrous.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

btw moddy - i hope your son's friend gets better soon.
    update?

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Hey look, it's one of those enablers we were talking about...

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Still hanging tough - nothing happened yesterday, and that's good news. Still a very long way to go before he's out of danger.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Why? She's just as dangerous behind the wheel.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

To be clear, I was not advocating against harsher penalties. I am quite sure they are part of the answer. But I don't agree with a lifetime license suspension for a first-time offense. That's not realistic.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Presuming no one gets hurt, you could use Assault with a Deadly Weapon (misdemeanor) as the guideline offense, and base your sentencing likewise.

1st offense - 180-day license forfeiture, fine, community service

2nd offense - 1 year license forfeiture, fine, 15-day mandatory jail sentence, community service

3rd offense - lifetime license forfeiture, fine, car seized, 6-month mandatory minimum jail sentence, community service

If someone is hurt or killed in a crash proceeding from a DUI, the felony sentences would be stiffer.

Would non-negotiable punishments this comically stiff deter impaired driving?

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That's supposed to be comically stiff? License forfeitures are pretty much meaningless. That just means you have to drive carefully and not get pulled over for six months to most of them.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

If actually applied rather than plead (pled*) out or suspended, yes.

*What's style on the past tense of 'plead' these days?

10. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

2012 AP stylebook says don't use "pled."

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Thanks.

And I enclose regards and warm hopes for Moddy's young friend.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Increasing degrees of license suspension for DUIs not involving others.
    Increasing degrees of jail time for DUIs involving others.

And the same penalties for those who are caught texting while driving.

Draft saved Draft deleted