1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

F Drunk Drivers - HARD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Sep 29, 2012.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I can see that point of view as well.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

For fuck's fuck. Obviously, anything that's needed, holler. Glad your son is fine, and I know you're there for him, but these next few days/weeks/months won't be easy. And, like you, glad he had restraint. You've raised him well.

3. turski7

turski7 Member

I echo Mile High's sentiments about your son. I would have no problems if he reacted the way he wanted, but he showed incredibly discipline in the moment and for his the sake of his friend. Let the courts hand out the justice.
    In case like this, this scumbag is going away for a long time.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

We hope.

The kids (they'll always be kids even though most are pushing 30) just got back. A small bit of positive progress tonight, they said. Still a long long long long way to go but they're a smidge more encouraged than they were earlier

5. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update.

Healing thoughts for Mike.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Amen. I won't bore everybody with the incident that made me feel as you do, but I do get it. Faith can be a wonderful source of strength for some people in times like these, but for some of us, it just doesn't work.

Just glad nobody else got hurt and your son is ok and I'm hoping his friend pulls through.

May the driver spend a long time in jail. I'd say he needs the time to think about what he has done, but I doubt that kind of asshole cares. We are way too damn forgiving of drunk driving in this country.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Moddy, I can't say much except to pray that everything turns out for Mike.

And your son was a beacon of strength.

As a parent of three boys about the the same age as your kids, we both probably say to ourselves when this stuff happens "There but for the grace of God..."

8. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

The times when I have lost someone I cared about, this did not make me feel better at all. It didn't make me shake my fists at God as much as make me want to ask the individual telling me this to stop peddling this type of bullcrap fairy tale.

The mom who backed over their son probably feels horribly. But she did that. God did not call the kid. That is her doing, not God's.

This bastard that ran over Moddy's son's friend wasn't doing any kind of God's work, or helping "destiny" along. He was being a f$%#ing asshole with no regard for anything other than the fix he needed to get that evening from getting drunk.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Drinking, of course, is still one of our national problems.

Just don't get caught, nudge-nudge ...

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm pretty intrigued now about what might lower the (stagnant) rate of drunk driving in this country.

Like someone noted, prison population is already sky high. I'm sure there's some reluctance to lock up non-violent offenders. Would you have to offset any stiffening of the laws by softening other laws - like marijuana possession?

License suspension has been mentioned (though I don't agree with MC's "for life on first offense" suggestion). But the problem is that people just drive anyway. Plus, you need to drive to work. I'd prefer that we didn't stop people from being productive citizens for life. In this country, to turn your life around, you need to drive.

What about lowering the permissible level to .06? That might put the fear into people a little bit more.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I don't think lowering the BAC threshold does much. It's the punishment phase of the offense that has to sting.

If people see their nice middle-class friends sent to jail or bankrupted by a DUI, they'll think twice.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I know what you're saying, but car crashes are pretty violent events.

If someone was driving 60 on that stretch of Clarendon, that's a mean feat, especially with the pedestrian traffic on Friday nights.

Hope your son's friend pulls through, Moddy.

Draft saved Draft deleted