1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

F Drunk Drivers - HARD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Hard to believe that Texas doesn't have a mandatory minimum sentencing law for any kind of manslaughter conviction.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It's only for dark-skinned people.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

"Affluenza" is the new "Twinkie defense," methinks.

4. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

We should also check the law for subparagraphs about the poor.

5. joe

joe Active Member

I'd like to be outraged. But too many instances of unequal justice — this case being the latest example; tomorrow there will be another one — just leave me numb.

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I agree with your basic premise, but I'd point out this case is different because this time the attorneys directly and bluntly presented an argument that wealth is the reason this defendant bore lesser guilt.

Normally, in similar cases, the high priced defense attorneys at least pretend the case is about something else. Not this time. This time they dispensed with the pretense and presented a defense that essentially distilled to "Your Honor, you should let him off because he's from a really really rich family and is used to getting whatever he wants."

And the judge bought it.

7. Cyrus

Cyrus Member

Well said. Simply put the average American driver is the most selfish person the face of the earth.

8. Bump ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...oman-given-slap-wrist-DUI-four-years-ago.html

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

This is what her car looked like. Dents to the hood and totally smashed windshield. Yet she left the cyclist for roadkill.

[​IMG]

I haven't heard any toxicology reports yet.

Hard to explain why the #2 in the Episcopalian diocese would be so callous and drive off. Shock maybe.

I'm expecting her to do some prison time for this one.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Jeez. Yeah, I'd hope so. I can't even look at the pictures of the car that hit my son's friend. That guy did some prison time, may still be in for all I know.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

12. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

This one made me think:
    http://m.stltoday.com/news/dead-and...5025-9a19-051f7db5ab54.html?mobile_touch=true

The victim was just driving home, hit by what i can only assume was a drunk, wrong way driver with no headlights. Victim was my age, had the same degree from the same college where i went to grad school, and worked at a place i can walk to in about 2 minutes. Left behind a wife and kids.

Sad, because he's so similar to me, and yet i'm sure i've driven when i shouldnt, so while i want to be angry at the driver, there but for the grace of God go I.

I dont know why i'm posting this really, but it made me want to share.

Draft saved Draft deleted