1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

F Drunk Drivers - HARD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I know we've done this before. Sorry. I just need to vent

http://www.arlnow.com/2012/09/29/breaking-news-police-investigate-critical-accident-in-clarendon/#comments

The victim is one of my son's best friends. The friend with him who notified the family? My son. A bunch of their buds are in town because Virginia Tech plays here this weekend. They won't be going to the game. Instead, they are at a hospital with the family of one of their dear friends - hoping he pulls through.

The comments, as always, are interesting. My son assures me Mike was in the crosswalk "because I was, too, right in front of him." This guy came very close to hitting a group of eight young adults.

I'm just sick about this.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Moddy,

Our best to your son, his friend's family and everyone else involved.

It cannot be emphasized enough. If you're going to drink, hand over the keys. No exceptions. No questions. No BS.

3. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

Hope the best for this young man.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

First offense DUI, high-level misdemeanor with a month of jail time. Second offense, felony. That's what it needs to be even in the absence of injury.

Thoughts and best wishes to your friend.

5. Moderator1

This is not a rant at you, at all, which I'm sure you understand. But how about you fucking maim someone? Even if he does live, he has more broken bones than they can count at this point and there's no telling what the severe head trauma will do to him. You don't drink and drive. That's hammered into you from the moment you start thinking about a learner's permit.

You do? You go to jail. You injure someone to this level? You go to jail for a very very very very long time.

This is bad enough. He was whiskers from hitting a very large group.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Once is once too many. An overused line sometimes, but applicable here. Takes only once to get behind the wheel inebriated and kill and injure numerous people.

A friend and colleague did it once at a previous stop. Not sure I've ever chewed him out worse than when we got back to the apartments (we had places in the same complex). Did it not only because he's a friend and I care, but also because it takes only once to kill and/or seriously hurt numerous people. Once.

No leniency with this one. None.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Oh I agree with you. The injury/death penalties are absurdly low too.

Sadly, I don't think it is drummed into everybody. In words, yes. But not in the actions of parents and other adults. We were talking about this on another thread and I was talking about how many times I had heard people say they drive better after a few because they're more relaxed.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

There are many reasons to not drink and drive. One of mine is the street I live on. It's so narrow that I feel like I could hit something or someone if I'm not careful, even when sober.

You take your life and the lives of too many others simply by getting behind the wheel of a car. It multiplies many times if you are drunk.

If you kill or hurt someone because you've driven drunk, you should be punished severely for it. And not just by your own conscience.

9. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear about this, Moddy. I hope your friend's son pulls through OK and that your son is dealing as best he can. I heard about this on the radio (WTOP) and they, too, said he wasn't in the crosswalk. I drive through Clarendon almost every day and the number of stupid drivers is insanely high, even during the day, when presumably, they aren't drunk.

EDIT: WTOP also didn't mention the driver was drunk. Just said the driver stayed at the scene.

10. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Revoking a licence doesn't do shit. We print a court round up in our paper a few times a week, three-quarters of it is people having their licence suspended further for driving with a suspended licence. How bout they lose the vehicle on top of it. Like Johns with prostitutes. And yes jail time. plus community service, preferably changing bedpans and colostomy bags on those maimed by drunk drivers for the forseeable future.

Moddy, I hope your sons friend pulls through.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Sending good thoughts on your son's friend. Unreal.

12. Moderator1

My son's girlfriend went online and looked up this scuzball's driving record. Ridiculous. No clue how he even had a license at this point.

Draft saved Draft deleted