1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

F Drunk Drivers - Hard, Part II

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WolvEagle, Nov 19, 2012.

1. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Hearing this news this morning made me think of the original thread.

Our former publisher - a really cool guy - his family and some friends were about a thousand miles from home, on their way to a cruise, when they were hit by a drunken driver last night. The former publisher's son, a popular high school athlete, was killed. The former publisher suffered a head injury. The granddaughter of another former publisher (and daughter of a former production worker) was paralyzed. Her dad is and her late grandpa was really cool.

Of course, the drunken MFer survived. At least he's in jail. I hope he rots in hell.

2. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Anybody who thinks drunken driving is no big deal should have been at the funeral home last night. They should have seen the hundreds of people there, including all those teens who attended the high school across the street with the deceased. They should have seen the line to see the dead 16-year-old and console his parents and siblings. They should have seen his high school football jersey hanging next to the casket (he was going to be a captain as a senior this fall). They should have seen how heavily made up he was. They should have seen the huge cut on his dad's head. They should have heard his dad - one of the nicest people you could meet - simply say "It sucks" about having to bury his son.

I'm not going back to the funeral today, but it'll be at the high school because so many people, especially his friends, are expected to be there.

Outside of visitations/funerals for family members (including my wife), that was the toughest one I've ever been to. Nothing like seeing a 16-year-old - one year younger than my youngest - in a coffin all because some a-hole had to get liquored up and drive.

Thanks for letting me vent, fellow SportsJournalists.commers - I really appreciate it.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

No, WolvEagle ... thank YOU for the reminder.

We tend to think things like things are always someone else's problem ... until it hits home or close enough for you to see and feel its effects.

You, Moddy and a lot of others here have shared your stories. If they don't help drive the point home, nothing will.

Draft saved Draft deleted