1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

F-ck it; I quit

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Baron Scicluna, Sep 22, 2014.

1. WhiskeyRiver

WhiskeyRiver New Member

This is exactly correct. Years ago I worked for KTUU, and the distance between them and KTVA, both in terms of quality (the production value was no better than that of a college TV station) and ratings, was Secretariat at the Belmont.

Then last year GCI, Anchorage's main cable provider, bought KTVA and threw a LOT of money at the station in an attempt to become a viable competitor to KTUU. They built a new HD studio and basically hired an entirely new staff, including poaching several of KTUU's people from the newsroom and control room.

I don't know if the ratings needle has moved much since, but when they debuted their new studio and news team, KTVA at least looked like a big-boy operation, ready to build credibility over time. What this person did utterly wiped out whatever gains the station has made in the last few months, and everyone there knows it. Their reputation is once again that of a pretender.

2. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

That's good insight Whiskey and hard for anyone here to argue. I agree. It pretty much erodes most of what had been accomplished in the past year.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Well ... if we're going to pounce on the person leaving, I might suggest that the anchor be instructed on how not to crap her pants when thrown a curveball, too.

4. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

LOL, I'm not sure I could have done any better. Poor girl looked like she saw a dog take a dump in her favorite pair of shoes.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

At least she didn't say, "Boom goes the dynamite."

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

She was probably not trying to mouth "What the FUCK?!" and lose her own job.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

If your company "gets crap" it's bad for your company --- and you. And perhaps the company has treated you well (impossible as it is for you to imagine, I know).

Draft saved Draft deleted