1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

F-ck it; I quit

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Baron Scicluna, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And you never have a real response.

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Hey, don't get upset. I enjoy your grade-school Marxism. It breaks up the monotony of serious discussion.

3. doctorx

doctorx Member

Don't bring Jameis Winston into this.

4. JPsT

JPsT Member

I don't think anyone would believe it's a station policy, I think people - whether it be the audience or sources - will be more skeptical of the station than they were before this happened.

This is a much smaller market than New York, it's a reporter not an anchor and there's a pretty vast difference between, "What the f--- are you doing?" and, "Surprise! I'm actually heavily involved in this story I was pretending to present in an unbiased fashion and am quitting in a premeditated way that happens to include profanity."

5. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

what happened.

6. Baron Scicluna

Which is why I think most people would chalk it up to being a disgruntled employee, and not hold it against the station's other employees. They may hold it against the station if it got out that they treated her poorly in some manner. Or, they may think she was just an idiot for quitting that way.

Plus, with all the synergy there is nowadays, I would think most of the public would figure something like this to be par for the course. It's no more so than a station airing a feature about a network TV show, which is conveniently airing right after their broadcast, so stay tuned.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

No offense intended, Doc, but the fact that it doesn't appear in newspaper copy and such is an indicator that it still is considered offensive to a great many people.

8. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Completely agree. I guess I was just making a personal statement. The word fuck doesn't mean shit to me. Carry on good peoples.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Newspapers by definition are behind the times.

10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

If Bill Simmons was truly brave, he would have said the phrase in question on his podcast.

11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Here's how it craps on her former co-workers...

KTVA is a second-rate station in Anchorage, trailing behind KTUU (the big dog in Alaska TV news). Competing with KTUU is hard enough but not every reporter and photographer on the street is subject to talking about "what happened"? It's the kind of stuff that demoralizes a newsroom in a hurry because it's so damn humiliating.

I've worked at seven TV stations in my career. Six of them had reputations as either the market leader or the non-sensational newsroom (often both). One station didn't -- we were in last place and throwing anything out there to try and make it stick. When you're at the respected station, sources call you back, the governor makes time for you, etc.

Now this reporter has crapped all over the inroads her former co-workers have tried to make. It's like in the Chutes N Ladders of TV news, going on the big damn slide from 66 to 23.

12. Baron Scicluna

Then whose fault was it that one station wasn't respected? The workers? Or the management?

Hey, if I was a TV person and I accidentally pulled a Sue Simmons, I'd be embarrassed as hell and apologizing to everyone. But if a coworker does it, I don't care. I'm not humiliated. I have enough to worry about in my own life to care if a coworker commits career suicide or if my company gets crap for the incident. Especially if the company doesn't give two shits about me.

Draft saved Draft deleted