1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

F--- boxing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by anonymousprick, Sep 20, 2009.

1. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Wilder...volatile? He's pretty boring outside of the ring. I know he had an incident back in 2013, but hasn't been involved in much of anything since then.

Both guys have had bouts with depression and suicide though. Now they are guaranteed $25 million each. Way to bounce back.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Glad I didn't pay for that.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I thought Wilder would be the aggressor and be the vicious dude persona Wilder sold but he was running from Fury from the start. Fury looks like a fun character who can box and knows how to use his bulk while also packing a big punch. Wilder’s corner three in the towel which deprived us of a knockout but Wilder was going down hard eventually and had no chance, he was bleeding from the ear and mouth and had zero legs. He was done.

good fight, I didn’t mind paying.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

As much as I'd rather watch the lighter weights, I really enjoy watching Tyson Fury fight.

He's just so technically sound, so relaxed in the ring and such great footwork.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

On top of everything else ...

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Wilder looked like an amateur in there, he was done after getting knocked down in the third. Fury worked his game plan perfectly, he dictated the pace from the opening bell, turned Wilder into a counter puncher who seemed confused by the angles and feints Fury was giving him. He had no answer for any of it. And @Smallpotatoes nailed it, for a big guy he moves rally well, really relaxed in the ring, very sound technically, doesn't get rattled by much, he wasn't the least bit intimidated by Wilder and leaning on him every chance he got was a great strategy.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

ahem

Deontay Wilder blames 40-pound pre-bout costume for Tyson Fury defeat

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Ridiculous; you choose your own costume, just stupid; “I’m not making excuses, but I’m making an excuse”. You got smoked, had no chance and could have been permanently damaged if the towel doesn’t come in. (IIIRC there was about a minute in round left)

HanSenSE likes this.
  9. HappyCurmudgeon

Good lord it's as if he's the first boxer to make an excuse after a loss. It's news when a boxer doesn't make an excuse. That's part of the makeup of a boxer -- not to concede defeat. Even Pac blamed a bad shoulder a minute after the bell rang in his loss with Mayweather.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Imagine you're Deontay Wilder. You just lost pretty badly to Tyson Fury and you need an explanation.

Do you go with...

A) My Transformer costume was heavy and I was tired.

Or...

B) My fucking ear exploded.

I'm gonna go with B. Answer A is not really an acceptable excuse.

HappyCurmudgeon and HanSenSE like this.
  11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Transformer!! That's what I was trying to think of when I saw it! Thanks, now I can get that off my mind.

PCLoadLetter likes this.
  12. HappyCurmudgeon

At the end of the day who gives a fuck? We all saw the fight. Whatever excuse he wants to make, if it makes him sleep better at night so be it. Find me the boxer that lost a big fight didn't make every excuse for why it happened. The first thing he said in the post-fight interview was something along the lines of "Fury was the better man tonight". That was all I needed.

Draft saved Draft deleted