1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

F--- boxing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by anonymousprick, Sep 20, 2009.

1. cwilson3

cwilson3 Member

Yea, the majority of them seem to start with a punch or two, a lockup, a knee to the stomach then it turns into a wrestling match.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

I remember that fight and kept thinking, why doesn't he just bend over?

3. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I think you guys are projecting. Did you read Playboy when you were kids? [/crossthread]

4. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Boxing is a joke. The only thing worse is MMA. Both involve men (and women) getting paid big bucks to do what would get them tossed in the hoosegow if they did it in the street.

I wouldn't pay a nickel to watch either of these putrid "sports." It's bad enough that I've had to cover them over the years.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Objectively, I'm sure.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

You got a nice view up on that soapbox, dave?

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

People also would get thrown in jail if they ran at another human being really fast, hurdled themselves forward and took said human to the ground in a quick and sometimes violent manner.

8. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Pardon me for having a freaking opinion!! :D

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Throwing a baseball at someone also illegal in most states.

10. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

So the Super Six tournament has started. It looks like it's going to be fun. It’s the sort of thing that boxing needs to do more often.

Not sure if Showtime have aired the Abraham/Taylor fight yet. If they haven't and you want to avoid spoilers then don't read the next paragraph.

The Arthur Abraham/ Jermain Taylor fight was entertaining. As my brother phrased it, "Abraham turned man off again." Prior to that though (Taylor got knocked out with seconds left in the fight) it was enjoyable and fairly competitive. Abraham took over in the latter stages and was winning on the cards when he got the KO. Taylor was still throwing though. He deserved to go the distance. However, in boxing you don't always get what you deserve.

Also, Arthur Abraham is a bad, bad man who hits very, very hard.

11. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

So, Carl Froch beat Andre Dirrell by split decision in a bout that was far from a classic.

Personally, I thought that Dirrell just edged it. He was very fast and had slick movement. He made Froch miss a lot.

That said though, some of the rounds where close. Froch is the champion and I could see judges favouring him in the close rounds. Also, Froch was the one coming forward trying to make the fight. A lot of judges like that more than slick defensive boxing.

I would have gone the other way but I don’t think that it was a total robbery or anything. I can see why two of the judges gave the fight to Froch.

12. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

Carl Froch is a tough guy. I mean, he’s just a good old-school tough fighter with a good chin. I don't like his chances against Abraham though. He gets hit too much for my liking. Getting hit by Abraham is not a good thing. Over the twelve rounds I can see Abraham knocking him the fuck out.

That’s what Abraham does. He doesn’t just knock people out. He knocks them the fuck out. When he catches someone it’s like he flicks a switch and they just go.

Draft saved Draft deleted