1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

F--- boxing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by anonymousprick, Sep 20, 2009.

1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Teddy Atlas said that Joshua got his money and didn't give a shit after that. Maybe that's true. I imagine a rematch would be a pretty big ticket. Ruiz is super likeable.

2. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I always get sad thinking about McCall, because of his breakdown. That's my first thought of him, but that punch was a helluva punch. Also nice to see Lennox Lewis before he looked like Rita Marley.

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Did it seem like he took the loss a little too well?

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

It did.

You know who took it badly?

This guy:

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  5. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Joshua seems like a decent guy with some character. He was going to be criticized for a shit performance and I thought he handled post-fight with humility and I can respect that. A lot of boxers act shitty and in denial after losses and get criticized so what's the right way to react. He got his ass kicked and he was right to give Ruiz credit for doing it.

I'm not going to say he's a fraud as a boxer. He certainly could be a very good boxer with the right training but he's very incomplete and probably not very smart at the craft either. He leaves himself way too open and doesn't understand distance or understands it and doesn't care to utilize it. If it's the former, he's poorly trained, if it's the latter, he's not very bright because in the heavyweight anyone can get knocked out. The only way a short fighter is going to get clean shots is going to the body, that's pretty much basic common sense, and he left his body for the taking.

I'd always been of the idea that Wilder would get to him and he wasn't crafty enough to beat a slippery guy like Fury. He's well marketed but eventually he was going to have to upgrade competition and his flaws were going to be exposed. Whether those flaws are all him or the result of a poor corner will have to be determined.

Smallpotatoes and nafselon like this.
  6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Smith is such a caricature now; IMHO he's lost all credibility on anything, every mention of him leads me to "SCREAMER".

Hey bud, watch this:

Watch the epic third round from Joshua vs Ruiz

Ignore the body aesthetics and watch the technical boxing skills of Ruiz; that guy is throwing powerful straight rights and connecting. Come on people, stop listening to folks like SAS who have nothing of substance to offer.

I enjoyed the Joshua/Klitschiko (sp) fight and thought Joshua was a legit, powerful boxer. Similarly, Ruiz looks to me like a legit champ and I hope he reigns so he can blow the stereotypes and simple minded disparagement of him out of the water.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

No one talks more - or more loudly - about boxing and knows less.

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Let me fix that for you.

9. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

SAS is a clown. Let's not waste another post on someone who knows less about the sport than the average toddler?

GGG coming up. Fury is supposed to be facing a real tomato can the following week. Tom Schwarz is 24-0 but it's about the most unimpressive list of wins possible in 24 fights.

Fight that real intrigues me is the Pac-Thurman fight in July. Not sure about Thurman any more, he's got hand issues and he just hasn't fought a lot in three years. Still he's a legit 147-pound champion with good wins over quality opponents in his prime against a great that's still chasing paychecks. If nothing else Thurman won't be a complete waste of space like Adrien Broner is. Winner of this match will surely get the Errol Spence fight assuming he beats Shawn Porter.

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Having people like Smith as part of its broadcast team is one of the reasons ESPN's broadcasts run long. Why do they need six people to talk about a sport in which two people are competing? Tim Ryan and Gil Clancy and Marv Albert and Ferdie Pacheco did a fine job by themselves and their broadcasts never ran long. Heck, ABC did well with just one guy, whether it was Cosell, Chris Schenkel or Keith Jackson.

Mark Kriegel seems to know boxing and is a great writer, but I don't think he really adds much to the broadcasts. I guess he's needed to tell the personal stories of the fighters who aren't exactly household names to most people.

Huggy likes this.
  11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Spot on this. Even in the old Top Rank days, when it was Barry Tompkins and Al Bernstein, they rarely ran long, there were no endless panel discussions or long previews or feature segments.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Always eager to see Golovkin box.

Looking forward to the card at MSG tonight.

Draft saved Draft deleted