1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

F--- boxing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by anonymousprick, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

That right hand looked like it traveled about six inches. Wilder's jab isn't great but it's stiff and it's everything when it comes to setting up his right.

2. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

I don't think wearing a double-breasted is going to add the additional 2,000 he needed to sell it out.

He's drawn two good houses there and he's not a fighter with a traveling fan base like the Brits will with Joshua or Canelo has or even Pacquiao. He's not a fascinating personality like Tyson. He doesn't play the bad guy like Mayweather. He's just a country boy from Alabama that can knock most guys six ways from Sunday. So given how few boxers can draw he can fill 90 percent of a big house in Brooklyn despite having no real connection to the area. Not bad.

And I think he'll make $30M+ on his fight with Joshua, which I expect will happen at the end of the year or early into 2020. Joshua should beat Ruiz Jr. in a couple weeks and it's time for him to cut out the bullshit and make the fight. Wilder's already fought Fury, which is a much trickier fight with a fighter that makes guys look bad so I don't think he's afraid. I don't want to believe Joshua is avoiding him but I'll know more after his fight in a few weeks.

3. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Brazeale might have been fine on occasion, but @Azrael is right on that punch. He dropped his left far enough to do up his zipper.

4. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Brazeale is a probably a top 10-12 heavyweight in the world. Not that that's saying much but he's not a bum. Tyson Fury is fighting an absolute bum in a few weeks -- a total bag.

I agree with Happy on Wilder's future. I think he and Joshua have to make that fight. If not I can't blame anyone but Joshua for not wanted to risk it against that right hand.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

We'll never know.

Wilder-1876230.jpg

6. HappyCurmudgeon

Well if he fought in a Brooks Brothers...I could see the intrigue.

7. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

I miss the days of Mike Tyson - yes, I know some say he faced weaker competition, however, he sure had people wanting more.

8. HappyCurmudgeon

Tyson fought the best guys out there at the time and unfortunately for him he got convicted of a crime before things in that division got good again. He had a fight with Holyfield scheduled for October of 1991 but he got injured in training and then the trial started. There was also Foreman, Riddick Bowe, Lennox Lewis, Michael Moorer all were potential opponents during his time in prison. His legal transgressions robbed boxing fans of what could've been a hell of a five-year period from 1990-95.

I will always say Razor Ruddock was a hell of a fighter and probably Tyson's most impressive name on win list.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The loss to Douglas was in February 1990, though, and it's been pretty well established that it was the first outward sign of the behind the scenes issues that were starting to tear Tyson down.
    You could easily argue that once Tyson started having to go against that run of quality early-90s heavyweights his weaknesses finally would've been exposed. Bowe and Lewis, in particular, would have posed a lot of the same matchup problems that Douglas did as bigger fighters who could keep him from getting inside. I'm not sure he beats either of them.

10. HappyCurmudgeon

No doubt about that. But I still wanted to see those fights. And at least Tyson would've probably given us those fights. Bowe and Lewis never fought. Holyfield and Lewis didn't fight until late 90s. Moorer never fought any of them but Foreman. Bowe and Lewis never fought Foreman. They all circled around each other during that period because I think they all wanted to be there for Tyson because he was the biggest payday.

And the 1991-92 Lewis wasn't the same fighter as the dominant late 90s Lewis. You never knew what Riddick Bowe you were getting from fight to fight. So it's easy to say they all gave him stylistic problems but none of them are a guarantee.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Holyfield fought them all in that period except Lewis.
    But, yeah, it would've been fun to see how Tyson did against a deeper roster than he tore through on his way to the top. Tyson and Larry Holmes are the two guys who kind of get screwed over in the "best ever" debate because of when they happened to be at their peak.

John B. Foster likes this.
  12. HappyCurmudgeon

To Holyfield's credit he pretty fought everyone when they were at their best with the exception of Tyson, and that was no fault of his own. He took on Bowe when Bowe was great and in shape. He took on Lewis when Lewis had discovered how good he was and stopped taking punches for machismo. He took on Foreman right at the peak of his comeback and he took on Moorer when no one wanted to fuck with a slick, southpaw like that.

Draft saved Draft deleted