1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

F--- boxing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by anonymousprick, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

More from Sugar Ray (including blow by blow from the great Don Dunphy on the second clip), amazing how he slips off the ropes and ends it with as definitive a KO as you will ever see. As somebody said about one of Joe Louis's victims, might have been Tony Galento, he hit him so hard you could have counted him out in the air.

John B. Foster likes this.
  2. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

Wow! That was something else. Graziano had no chance.

3. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

A reminder that while Mike Tyson is no longer a world class prize fighter, he will still be able to kick the shit out of the other 99.9 percent of the population until the day he dies.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Did his hands even move??? Damn. So disappointing when he stopped mauling and started looking/waiting for the one punch KO.

Watched the Ortiz guy on Showtime Saturday, he's got some talent (but he's 40 so a little too old); Really want to see Joshua v. Wilder.

6. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

I look at that four-punch combo and I'm thinking...There's absolutely no way I wouldn't crumble like a day-old cake after the first punch.

John B. Foster and Batman like this.
  7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Before he got lazy and started looking for one-punch knockouts there wasn't a heavyweight who ever lived who could string together hard, fast punches like Tyson. Yeah, Ali was fast but he didn't throw punches like that.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Cynics on press row suspect Ortiz is even older than that. Maybe north of 45. Cuban athletes and documentation remain an international mystery.

Ali was faster, but yes, Tyson hit much harder.

He could knock most of us out with a hard look.

Even in that clip you can see the fighter Cus made of him.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Tyson was a great defensive fighter at his best, kept his hands up, moved his head constantly and was always in a position to punch. He was a master as a smaller guy outjabbing a bigger guy by moving in without getting hit.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

One thing I will say about Ali, I went back to his earlier days, before the Rope a Dope stuff, and he did not merely flick a jab, they were snap back jabs, and powerful straight rights. I was disappointed that I had only thought about the showmanship, the verbal assaults, the "float like a butterfly, sting like a bee" Ali and had forgotten of how pure a boxer Ali was at one time. He was the essence of quick power.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Exactly how he beat Liston in the first fight. Busted him up with his jab and nearly closed his left eye with his right hand. To me that's one thing that he lost during his exile, yeah, he could still jab with proficiency (look what he did to Frazier with it at times in their third fight) but he didn't have the hand or foot speed he did prior to that so he had to find other ways to win fights.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

More on the Champ:

I recall hearing Ken Burns was planning an Ali project too.

Draft saved Draft deleted