1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

F--- boxing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by anonymousprick, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Yep.

That's a long time to be part of something.

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

They canceled the undercard and the promoter had to pay those guys?

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I think Matt McGrain's historical rankings are very fair.

He has Bowe at 25, Tyson at 10.

www.boxing.com/the_one_hundred_greatest_heavyweights_of_all_time_part_ten_10_1.html

John B. Foster likes this.
  4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Navarrete - Dogboe was a helluva fight.

HappyCurmudgeon likes this.
  5. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

It's all right. No one's list is authority.

I think Riddick Bowe is the most naturally talented Heavyweight fighter in my lifetime. Natural talent and ability he stands alone.

He was also the laziest, most underachieving fighter in my lifetime. His lack of professionalism when it comes to conditioning and preparation is only rivaled by Chavez's shitty kid.

I say this because the times he DID show up to fight, particularly against an overrated puncher named Jorge Luis Gonzalez that goaded him to no end, he gave you the idea of how good he could be if he gave a shit. Unfortunately he didn't give a shit. He beat Holyfield twice? So what. Holyfield should have never survived more than ten rounds against Bowe, much less beat him once and knock him down another time.

And frankly, he avoided Lennox Lewis a little too much for my tastes. 43-1 is a nice record but he got two wins against Andrew Golota because Golota was so bored punching him in the face he decided to punch him in the dick too.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

The way Chris Costello of the UFC explained it to me (because their fight nights on FS 1 often run long, too) is that when it runs into the next time slot, the audience that is still watching the fights counts in the ratings as watching the next show, whether it's Sports Center or the postfight show or whatever.
    If the show ends early, people tend to switch to another channel and the ratings for the next show suffer.
    It's a somewhat dishonest way of doing things if you ask me.

7. HappyCurmudgeon

They probably moved the fight until after the TV broadcast. But yeah, the promoter would get stuck with that bill. HBO didn't mess around with their time window.

8. cjericho

And Holyfield survived 10 rounds twice against Lewis.

9. cjericho

Love MSG, but thought with betting now legal in NJ there'd be more big fights in Atlantic City.
    Have any promoters talked about that?

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Given the video that exists on Jack Johnson it is almost impossible to see how his style could have made him competitive outside of the era he fought in. However he looked more like a modern heavyweight than guys like Dempsey, Tunney, Willard, even back to the great John L. did.

11. HappyCurmudgeon

I understand why FS1 does it because UFC, Nascar and some CFB are the only things that draw on the network. ESPN it makes a little less sense because 11 p.m. Sportscenter is still a good ratings show so I can't think that the difference between live boxing and the Sportscenter is so dramatic they have to cheat to get viewers.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

That was, terrific rumble.

Draft saved Draft deleted