1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

F--- boxing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by anonymousprick, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I would say F--- boxing, but I would immediately precede it with motherf--- UFC.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I remember that. I think he was fighting Milton McCrory with Don Chevrier behind the mike for ABC.

3. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sir,

I kid you not. Bramble tried to pick up Mrs Friendless.

Not a Boom Boom fan. (FWIW, way, way inside, his manager Dave Wolf (author of Foul) died last winter, didn't see it reported.)

o-<

4. Colton

Colton Active Member

Creed-Balboa II was the best fight these eyes have seen... people were actually standing and cheering in the theater.

OK, back to reality. Pryor-Arguello I was awesome. Also liked watching Foreman and Holyfield go at it.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I would never pay to watch boxing. Ever.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

The pure sport of boxing is a beautiful thing to behold. In my opinion, it's just as exciting as UFC. Right now, UFC is fad that caters to a younger sect, sort of like WWE. I respect the athletes involved in UFC. They do some serious training to remain competitive.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I had no idea Dave Wolf had died. As I recall he managed Donny Lalonde around the time of his fight with Leonard prompting one wag to compare the hair of both fightter and manager by saying "one buys it" (Wolf) and "one dyes it (Lalonde). Good line, maybe you had to be there.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

UFC > Boxing.

9. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr Huggy,

I talked to Wolf years back for a Lalonde thing ... I found it hard to focus. I thought his hair was going to jump off his head and chase a mouse. Great book though.

o-<

10. UFC is past the "fad" stage. If it was a fad it would have started downtrending a couple years ago. Fighting in some form will always be popular and there is now a generation that has grown up with MMA as its go-to fight sport. No doubt it will level off at some point, but it isn't going to go away any time soon.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

My main memory of Leonard/Lalonde was that it was promoted by Vince McMahon, who used his WWF TV shows to promote it endlessly.

I remember being pretty POed that I was wanting to watch wrestling each week, but it ended up being a boxing show.

I enjoyed boxing as a kid. One of my earliest boxing memories was of my parents going out for the evening, and my babysitter wanting to watch Holmes/Cobb. Since we only had one TV at the time, my parents told me to let the babysitter watch it.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

My dad and I used to watch Thursday night fights on ESPN when I was a kid. It seemed half the fights came from some basement in Totowa, N.J., and featured Bobby Czyz. My dad and I had a running joke about Al Bernstein's extensive knowledge of obscure fighters, a precursor to Mel Kiper Jr. "Now, I saw this kid fight in a bathroom in Montana in 1976, and he had a quick-jabbing style..."

Draft saved Draft deleted