1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

F****** blogs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Gator, Oct 18, 2016.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The strong lean here is that the blogger's report was correct and you didn't have sources who were being straight with you. They obviously wanted to orchestrate the rollout for their big luncheon and their publicity purposes. So yeah, most likely they were playing you.

Doc Holliday and YankeeFan like this.
  2. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I'm not saying I wasn't played. But I said it from the start, and I'll say it again: I didn't feel comfortable going with what I had heard six months ago without getting a higher authority to confirm it. I mean, this is really what separates the publications that do it right from those, as Hondo mentioned, that just throw shit against the wall and sometimes it sticks. People expect better from the newspaper. Let's say, for one reason or another, it's not true. Who does it hurt more -- the trusted newspaper that's been around for more than 150 years, or the blog that's been around for less than 150 months?

3. LongTimeListener

Totally understand and respect this.

Don't understand this at all. Why are you saying this blogger didn't do it right? He obviously had good sources if he nailed the story six months before they wanted it out. Why is he by definition doing it wrong? From putting your work and his side-by-side, it simply appears he did a better job than you on this story.

Also I'm not sure if you're just trying to be cute with the wording, but if the guy has been around for "less than 150 months" that means he could have been doing this for 12 years. That's a pretty long time.

I'd be concerned as an observer of journalism if the blogger wasn't going to be credentialed in retalation for a story that was accurate.

4. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

It's funny when you say "nailed the story." I call it eventually got something right. Let's say someone of prominence is shot. Blogger gets a tip that the person dies. Goes with it, because, why not? Big page views. Well, the person lingers on for a few more days, then dies. Is that nailing the story? Sure, ultimately the blogger was right. Nailed it.

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

But how do you know he didn't have the kind of confirmation that would have made you, or at least most newspaper people, comfortable going with it?

SnarkShark and LongTimeListener like this.
  6. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I don't.

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

So this blogger might have been right all along and the club president was perhaps lying to you in saying the blog report was erroneous?

8. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Possible, but not really. Extremely doubtful. If the club president clued him in, don't you think he would have been front and center at the official announcement?

9. LongTimeListener

Who said the club president clued him in?

I'm going to jump out of this, because I don't understand the issue. The guy had a well-sourced and clearly accurate story. You got beat.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  10. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

You'll be thoroughly missed.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

You may want to step back, dial back the snark, and realize LTL is dead right on this.

You got beat. It may be because the blogger took a risk and got lucky. It happens.

It may also be that his sources were solid and he knew it.

Either way, not really the time for the celebratory dance.

12. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

The day it becomes OK to "take a chance and get lucky" with news is the same day I'll be looking for a new job.

Draft saved Draft deleted