1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

F****** blogs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Gator, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Sun shines on a dog's ass every now and again. It was irresponsible without confirmation and likely will keep him from getting credentialed.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

LOL. So you're part of the favorites club now and you're happy about it? Got invited to the luncheon and everything!

That isn't a badge of honor. That means they know you'll only write what they want you to write. That isn't reporting.

The blogger is the one doing journalism here.

3. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

If you say so. Sometimes you have to pick your battles. I picked mine. I'm happy with my decision.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

That's hardly the case. Bloggers have scooped newspapers on who gets a Super Bowl, College national championship etc.
    The problem with bloggers and web site is they don't care if they're wrong. If they throw enough shit at the wall, something sticks from time to time. Our problem is we have to bat 1.000 in being right. Tough when you have to follow the rules of engagement and bloggers can be the equivalent of guerrilla fighters using human shields. Not a fair fight.

Gator likes this.
  5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

On the contrary. The blogger is not doing journalism when he doesn't have to worry about sourcing or accuracy.

Gator likes this.
  6. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Both posts, said it better than I could have.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't know the blog enough to judge.

I do know that in this case Gator is claiming the high ground ***because he got scooped***. News isn't news only when and if the person in charge wants it to be.

8. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

How did I get scooped? I knew what he knew when he knew it. When I went to get on-the-record confirmation, I was told that nothing was set in stone. I didn't feel comfortable going with it. As I mentioned previously, you have to pick and choose your battles. I didn't claim any high ground. I decided that betraying the trust of the source I reached out to was not worth putting it in print. That decision, as I mentioned, paid off.

Not to mention that if I had gone with it at that time, it would have been incorrect, but ultimately correct. Should I report that the new stadium being built in Las Vegas is going to host the Super Bowl? I mean, it probably will, but as of right now, nothing is set in stone.

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Yes

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

But how do you know he didn't just have great sources?

11. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

They couldn't have been that great if, that the time of the report, it wasn't correct.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Or you were being played.

YankeeFan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted