1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eyeglasses

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JohnHammond, May 8, 2017.

1. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

You can get a prescription online using a laptop and smartphone. Only $40, but I'm not spending that kind of dough to see how accurate it is. Also not legal in several states.

Vision prescriptions from the comfort of home

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I don't know how well that would work in extreme cases. Like those cross-eyed funny people.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

4. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

My trust in eye docs has diminished steadily. Next to last one I went to spent more time lying to me about his college athletic exploits than actually doing a good job with the exam. I ended up with shitty progressive lenses that I didn't want, so I took them back and told them to stick them where the speculum don't shine.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I didn't get reading glasses till 3 years ago. Can't believe how much crisper everything was/is.

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I spend a little extra when it comes to my eyes, an ophthalmologist for the eye exam (not an optometrists) and obviously an optician for my glasses. As I said before I use the local optician (not a chain store) for the glasses, might cost a little more but I get personalized quality service from someone that knows me and gives me good quality service.

7. JohnHammond

It's been about 20 years, but I bought glasses from a guy who was a precursor to the online retailers. He rented a kiosk in a mall (think cell phone retailer space), and had the machines to grind and edge the lens. Paid about $50 for a decent frame and polycarbonate lenses, and took about an hour. I like the small optical shops, but the selection is usually poor. The large retailers badger you with upsells, and the prices are ridiculous. Vision insurance just doesn't cover much when you go to a traditional retailer, besides the exam.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Vision insurance in general is cheap, and you pretty much get what you pay for, which isn't much.

Anything serious automatically becomes "medical". I thought I might be experiencing early signs of a detached retina a few months ago (turned out to be a detached vitreous, which is no big deal). Everything went to the medical plan.

9. JohnHammond

Thought about your question more and realized people use OTC readers as a cheaper alternative to buying prescription glasses to correct farsightedness. Of course the problem with that are OTC readers have the same prescription for both eyes and the PD isn't customized.

Draft saved Draft deleted