1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eyeglasses

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JohnHammond, May 8, 2017.

1. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

What Ragu said. I've gotten a few pairs of progressives from Warby Parker and have been happy with them all. I wouldn't have gotten them there if I couldn't go into a store and get the measurements done, though.

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

If you wear progressives I would think that buying online is not an option as they need to be 'lined up' with your eyes (I'm sure there's a technical term for this that is escaping me at the moment).

Vombatus likes this.
  3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Believe it or not, Warby Parker will sell you progressives online. They have some kind of predictive technology to set the segment heights. I personally wouldn't buy them that way, but maybe it is fine.

4. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Need a PD, which is not part of a prescription, and segment height for bifocals and progressive lenses. The PD app I've used is as accurate as PDs taken by a few different opticians.

First bifocals are on their way. Bought lined bifocals.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I'm wearing progressives bought online (39dollarglasses.com) and they're as good as any I've ever had. They were $150 or so with all the bells and whistles, and they'd have been $400+ at Walmart and more elsewhere.

All these places -- both the online places and your traditional neighborhood folks -- buy the blanks from the same manufacturers. It's a ridiculously low-skilled operation.

6. doctorquant

My optometrist always writes the PD on the little prescription card.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Got prescription at optometrist. Didn't like an of the frame options there.
    Bought pair online with Zenni for $35. Not exactly what I wanted but much closer than I have ever seen at the optometrist office.

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I have a hell of a lot of trouble with that. It's called "eye centers". With my glasses on, the technician can use a marker to put a black x where your eye lines up to each lens. They really should do all these measurements on you as you select a frame to make sure each lens is cut correctly.
    And I am extremely particular about misalignment. Drives me nuts. They were off a bit with one lens once, and it took me about two months of screwing around to realize that my goofed up vision was due to one of the lens being off and not on me. Gave me headaches, literally. Or is that figuratively. Sigh. Going home. Done for the day.

HC likes this.
  9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Previous optometrist (he's since retired) told me during exam:
    You know why you look so much older than you really are? It's your eyelids. You can get those done really easy now. In and out same day.

I was like 'WTF!' I don't need unsolicited cosmetic surgery advice from my optometrist!
    I don't ask my doctor about bifocals during a rectal exam! Let's stay on topic!

Vombatus and doctorquant like this.
  10. doctorquant

Hmmmm. During such I think I'd rather talk about my golf game, his/her golf game, the state of the Cowboys, what Steelers may or may not go on the disabled list ... ANYTHING other than the topic "at hand."

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

You can in Russia. Freedom (from mandatory $99 exams) ! :)

Vombatus likes this.
  12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Better situation than what could be on the tip of his tongue. If her tongue, hmm... buy me a drink first.

Draft saved Draft deleted