1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Extremely dumb cellphone question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by finishthehat, Feb 28, 2011.

1. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

My wife gave me her old Blackberry. I tend to avoid cell phones as much as possible, fwiw.

But what's the best way to get a song as a ring tone? I'd be willing to pay a one-time charge, but my initial searching was surprisingly unproductive. A lot of sites that seemed squirrely either in terms of registering or malware exposure, but maybe I'm just too paranoid.

I realize I'm just extremely dumb about this, but any tips would be appreciated. It's a Sprint, btw, and I don't have an iPod or know how to burn things or whatever it is you damn kids do these days.

thanks

2. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

www.mobile17.org

3. finishthehat

See, now you're just trying to make me look dumber. That site talks about using any song that's on your computer, but how do I get a song on my computer?

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Have you tried driving to the iTunes store?

5. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Just place your boombox on top of your monitor, and the router should detect the song and place it into your documents folder.

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

You should be able to 'rip' a song from a CD to your computer as an MP3 and use that for your ring tone.

7. finishthehat

Do I have to plug the computer in first?

I guess I should go to iTunes, but I think my kid is registered there under my info and I don't have the sign-in and my patience for registering for stuff is very thin.

thanks, all

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Your blackberry probably has a Media app that connects you to ringtones you can purchase directly to the phone. Not hard to do, but you have to click around in there to find it.

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Try www.myxer.com

Just be careful because some of them are charge, and some are free.

I think you have to register, but it will send it right to your phone.

10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

If I have the technological knowhow to download a ring tone, the rest of the world does, too. I think mine cost 99 cents.

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Another note I just thought of, if you go this route: preview the track before you download it, especially on the free ringtones. A lot of them are local yokels covering the song, instead of the actual artist.

You can also upload your own song to the site, and have it create a ringtone sent to your phone.

Draft saved Draft deleted