1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Extremely Disturbing Story from Turkey

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ThomsonONE, Feb 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Inky, be honest. Every time we hear about an Islamic terrorist, we learn that he became more religious before acting.

Maj. Hassan, the Christmas Bomber, the American Taliban (and a couple of other Americans fighting us overseas including the one in Sudan who was just profiled in the Times).

They all become more religious first.

The Taliban are ultra religious.

Look at the pictures I posted from Cairo University. The veil is not cultural in Egypt. It's because of the gaining influence of Sharia law that has resulted in all of those women taking the veil.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Every time I hear a story about a child dying because his parents didn't believe in medicine, it typically follows that the family were ultra-Christians.

And the idea of Catholics or Southern Baptists offering up lectures on treating women equally would be more than a little laughable.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Every time I hear a story about a child being married to an older man who already has multiple wives, it typically follows that the family were ultra-Christians too.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

One thing is certain -- all those folks you are talking about are far right wingers.

5. YankeeFan

So, by changing the subject, can I take it to mean that you are no longer defending your original statement and are conceding the point that it's religious Muslims who are the most dangerous/violent?

6. YankeeFan

Who does this? Not Catholics or Southern Baptists. Maybe Christian Scientists. They're fringe and their numbers are infinitesimal when compared to Muslims.

Are they really a threat to society? Radical Islam is.

7. YankeeFan

What Christians do this? "Fundamentalist" Mormons? It's debatable whether or not Mormons are even Christian.

The Fundamentalist aren't even Mormons. They're cults. And their leaders should be thrown in jail.

8. Inky_Wretch

I'm not conceding anything. Except that it is pointless to continue the conversation. Your views of Muslims will never be changed. Neither will my view that it is the individuals who are the problem, not the religion.

By the way, the 9/11 hijackers drank alcohol, gambled in Vegas and went to strip clubs. That's not in line with being a "religious Muslim."

9. YankeeFan

So their motivations were "cultural" and not religious?

Maj. Hassan went to a strip club too. To be a homicidal maniac, you've got to be pretty fucked up and probably somewhat conflicted.

Nonetheless, it was religion and religious beliefs/fervor that drove each of these men.

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I would really like to argue against you, YF, but it's completely pointless. You're so entrenched in incorrect ideas that no one person can even begin to untangle them for you.

11. Inky_Wretch

If they were truly religious, they wouldn't be at the strip clubs. Let alone murdering people.

Again, the individuals are the problem. Not the whole religion.

12. YankeeFan

No, not the entire religion -- just the most religious.

Moderate Muslim = not religious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.